Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Insider Preview (10.0.22635.3646) (KB5037858) Fails

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DavidS94, May 24, 2024.

1. JamesF23

JamesF23 Member

This just really tells you that the only customers that Microsoft cares about are the business customers (OEMs). This really justifies my decision about only using Windows for the very few tasks that specifically require Windows because the software developers of those applications are too lazy for porting their applications to macOS. The only application that I currently use that falls into this category is Autopsy as I will not install Java on my Mac Studio.

JeremyD7 likes this.
  2. JeremyD7

JeremyD7 Bit poster

There is a level of rage and anger that's hard to put into words when I talk about Microsoft. As a company they are truly despicable. Their product lines either copy the best of other vendors work or they are clunky garbage. I hate Microsoft as a company, their philosophy, their design methodology, their subpar engineering talent.. and I hear people already chiming up about their position on the Forbes list, that's all due to their Enterprise relationships helping them balloon their Azure Cloud business into the huge money marker that it is and their wise investment in OpenAI.

Being the Corporate tech behemoth that they are, they have not created anything amazing in-house in decades, I would argue ever. In fact the only real innovative thing Microsoft has ever created in-house is probably Visual Studio and Microsoft Office, VS I still contend is the best Enterprise IDE for coding. I need it for work, so I continue to use Windows 11. Everything else some product of or refinement on acquisition technologies, including Azure Cloud and all their AI efforts, where they just followed Amazon's pioneering lead with EC2 or had the OpenAI startup build technologies they get exclusive rights to.

Microsoft's ethics have been proven to be horrible time and time again. From Antitrust to Privacy to just horrible Software products that steal users time. They spotlight how with good marketing, the right acquisitions and brown nosing Enterprise clients is a formula for success in Western Capitalism.

I don't care what their EULA has, there could be a class action lawsuit here. We paid for Windows 11 Pro and for updates. Who are the top three Corporations on the Fortune list? Microsoft, NVidia and Apple... Interesting isn't it that Microsoft is punishing NVidia and Apple users of its Windows 11 product. It's a broken promise is what it is. From their sleazy CEO all the way down the chain, I only wish for the absolute worst future for Microsoft.

And I believe that will happen, because when you look at some of the AI features they have created, like "Recall" which records EVERYTHING you do and allows anyone with access to your computer through your account (in person or remote) to see your browsing history, bank statements, passwords (if visible on screen) that exotic outfit you want to buy your special person. "Recall" is exactly the kind of product I'd expect from the filth and incompetence within Microsoft. They are incapable of responsibly bringing these features to market... If you doubt that, rewatch their keynote and see how much effort was put into discussing security and privacy around CoPilot+ "Recall", they don't go there really at all, because there hasn't been much effort put into it. One of these carless mistakes will eventually burn them alive, and oh how I hope we get to see that happen.

3. JamesF23

JamesF23 Member

The funny thing is that I have not had ANY interest in watching the keynote this year. After the revealing from the FTC proceedings from the Microsoft purchase of Activision that Microsoft plans on migrating everyone's Windows desktop to Microsoft Azure. In contrast Apple seems to be focused more on making the user's computer more powerful and thus no longer needing cloud compute. I love the computing power available in the M4 iPad Pro and would have loved using Parallels Access to access applications on my Mac Studio while away from my home office, but Parallels decided that was not to be. Of course with the computing power available on the iPad Pro, I really do need access to my Mac Studio less today.

4. Tweetatoo

Tweetatoo Bit poster

Hello everyone!
    Just wanted to share my own experience about the update KB5037853 on Windows 11 ARM-64 23H2 (Parallels version).
    I confirm the same what many of you already experienced. After reaching 30%, Windows loads into recovery and attempts repairs, update will be rolled back and in Windows Update a failed install with error 0x800f0845 appears in the settings. Retrying the update does never work. Also I tried a fresh Windows 11 install, the update now appears as optional update and the same issue occurred on the fresh installation of Windows.
    I contacted Parallels support multiple times; none of their suggested solutions worked. At the end they meant it has to be examined at "code level".

5. JamesF23

JamesF23 Member

That does not surprise me. The update works in VMware Fusion. But it does remind me when Parallels took a while to support a later version of the Linux Kernel. It does lead to an incompatibility with the Parallels tools installed on the virtual machine.

6. JeremyD7

JeremyD7 Bit poster

24H2 will bring the ARM64 CoPilot+ features, but this post from Microsoft suggest that the update will work on "non CoPilot+ supported PCs" just without the CoPilot+ features... meaning anything running the ARM64 Win11 that's not Qualcomm Snapdragon Elite X based, meaning Apple Silicon uses virtualizing it :)
    The NPUs found in Apple Silicon chips are more than capable, since the Elite X is just Qualcomm's copy of Apple's implementation of RISC on 64-bit architecture, it's all about time gating for marketing purposes of the new Elite X hardware, which is complete BS since we all paid for a Windows 11 license.

But.. the point is, good news, Microsoft's intention is not to break compatibility with Parallels for ARM64 Win11. So I guess it is up to the Parallels team to fix a few things.

7. GarethB3

GarethB3 Bit poster

Erm....not to wee wee on your bonfire but you realise vmware hypervisor is a dead stick at this point right? Don't expect anything for free, or cheaper or better. Have you been living under a rock or something?

8. GarethB3

GarethB3 Bit poster

That link is dodgier that P Diddlers school for adolescent males.

9. JamesF23

JamesF23 Member

Except in this case something better is something that actually works as expected and Parallels Desktop is currently not working as advertised.

10. GarethB3

GarethB3 Bit poster

Except I can replicate the issue on native arm hardware....

JulsS likes this.
  11. Don Awalt

Don Awalt Hunter

Alas, Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22635.3720 (KB5039312) just came out. Same problem:
    Does the download/install from Settings - restarts
    Gets to 30% - restarts on its own
    Attempting auto repair
    Asks for Bitlocker key
    Disagnosis your PC
    Attempting repairs
    Undoing changes - something went wrong

Parallels please fix this!!!

12. Don Awalt

Don Awalt Hunter

I forgot to mention I got another ticket number from "Send technical data" - 461879261.

13. JamesF23

JamesF23 Member

Interesting, the only ARM hardware that I have is my Macintosh, iPad, iPhone, and Raspberry Pi. So I have it working properly on VMware Fusion Pro but not currently in Parallels Desktop for Mac. Not interested in having excess hardware than I would normally use, which is why I would rather subscribe to Parallels Desktop rather than purchase additional hardware that would gather dust from non-use. I despise software subscriptions and avoid them as my first choice.

14. Don Awalt

Don Awalt Hunter

@Dmitry@Parallels - fyi, see post above, but Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22635.3720 (KB5039312), which just came out today, also fails to install.

15. JohnM92

JohnM92 Bit poster

I just saw another version released (Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Insider Preview (10.0.22635.3720) (KB5039312)) I'm getting the same error as the previous release.

16. JulsS

JulsS Member

James, why haven't you switched to VMware? Seems like it is a better fit for your needs.

17. FrankO

FrankO Junior Member

Which part of the word "convenience" did you not understand? o_O
    Creating a new VM and installing windows and all my required software and files would take at least one day of my working time, probably longer. That's not only the opposite of convenience, but also significantly more expensive than just buying a dedicated Windows laptop.

18. LeRoi

LeRoi Hunter

Well, I'm really going out on a limb here, but I believe you probably own a copy of Parallels. Oddly enough, you can either export your current VM or download and install another copy of Windows using your existing copy of Parallels, et VOILA! you now have a second Windows VM. You can actually use a mirror copy if you're really desperate which probably already has the software you use every day. You then simply join the Windows Insider group, select either DEV or CANARY and, buy golly, it will update to the version you selected. Seems to me that's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying an Intel laptop, buying a Win 11 Pro license, spending the better part of a day installing existing software and then attempting to get everything to work. But then again, what do I know. I've only been using MS since DOS1.0 so I'm sure I'm overlooking some complication. :D

19. GabrielA4

GabrielA4 Bit poster

https://www.neowin.net/news/microso...es-on-virtual-machines-in-the-latest-updates/

"After installing this update, you might face issues during the install process. This issue is mainly observed on Windows virtual machine (Parallels Desktop) running on Arm based Mac devices. After installing this update, you might encounter an error during the system restart and the device might roll back to the previous update installed."

20. MartinW27

MartinW27 Bit poster

You can easily clone your current VM, run this batch file to reset windows update, Download Reset Windows Update (majorgeeks.com) , change the insider build to DEV or Canary and continue in that new VM.
    Or just wait, because Parallels/Microsoft wil probably have a fix soon.