Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Insider Preview (10.0.22635.3646) (KB5037858) Fails

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DavidS94, May 24, 2024.

1. FerdinandI

FerdinandI Bit poster

I can also confirm the newer Windows Update works and installs.

2. FranciscoD6

FranciscoD6 Bit poster

Production release

Don Awalt likes this.
  3. FrankO

FrankO Junior Member

My Windows Update still cannot see it, the latest it sees and want to install is 10.0.22635.3720. I hope the .22631.3737 will come up later today...

4. FrankO

FrankO Junior Member

No, that's not what I do (and I never said I would...) - the physical machine is running a stable version. And it isn't an ARM device anyway, just a plain vanilla Intel machine, which obviously do not have this problem... So, even with the latest pre-release patch, it should be fine.

5. MaartenM1

MaartenM1 Bit poster

Windows updates succeeded here as well : Windows 11 PRO (not insiders) on MBP 14 M3

6. RogerH16

RogerH16 Bit poster

Unfortunately, Windows update is still offering me Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Insider Preview (10.0.22635.3720) (KB5039312) which fails with Install error - 0x800f0845 as it has done before the latest update. FWIW KB5039312 is a higher serial number than KB5039212 which is said above to work. Parallels on an ARM Macbook Pro.

7. FrankO

FrankO Junior Member

In the Insiders beta channel, the update is not available, as the installed beta version (in my case 22635.3640) is considered newer than the fixed 22631.3737 version. Unfortunately the fix is not yet available for the 22635 branch. For the time being, I think the most convenient way to avoid the crashing update is to change the Insiders channel to Release Preview. This can be reverted at any time to the Beta channel to check if a fixed version is now available. Not the optimal choice, but certainly better than going "up" to the Dev or Canary channel, which cannot easily be reverted to Beta, and which are so cutting-edge that they might actually cut :D.

8. RogerH16

RogerH16 Bit poster

I can find no way that windows update will let me change to release preview from the same build as you have. I am not surprised that this cannot be done without a complete reinstall, to be honest.

9. LeRoi

LeRoi Hunter

If you don't see the update, you are running a version that does not require the update or the update hasn't been released. Unless the version you're running is crashing every 5 minutes, just keep on using it until the update drops. (It's the old "latest and greatest, just gotta have it" thing :D)

10. Don Awalt

Don Awalt Hunter

You don't have to go to Release Preview. Others are correct, the update has not been pushed to the Beta Insiders channel yet. The version that has come out, 22631.3737 cannot be installed over a beta installation, even manually. So: 1) Beta testers have to wait, and update to the beta channel should be out soon I think, as they have demonstrated they have fixed the problem.

(2) To clean up your Windows Update with the old failed install still showing/still trying to install, you can either clear things out per the manual instructions set forth earlier in this thread, or the easiest (and a great tool used by many) is to download WuMgr from Github. All you have to do is download the zip file, and extract the program and run it - no install, it's free. It is a very simple interface to manage the Windows Download process. It allows you, among other things, to "hide" an update. So bring it up and press the Search button (see arrows on pictures).
    1.png

Then go to the Windows update section, you will see a checkbox next to the rogue install that fails.
    2.png

Click it, then click the Hide button (which also functions as an unhide button, depending on context).
    3.png

That's it in WuMgr - then bring up Windows Update, Click to Pause updates for a week, then immediately Unpause updates - you will see the Updater checking, and it will say you are clean no updates! Ready for the good download when it comes. Simple.

11. Matthew777

Matthew777 Bit poster

Good morning! 2024-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5039212) fixes this issue! Thank you, Microsoft!

12. RogerH16

RogerH16 Bit poster

But windows update wants to give me (10.0.22635.3720) (KB5039312) which doesn't.

13. JohnM92

JohnM92 Bit poster

I'm having the same problem too. I am on the Beta Channel 22635.3640 ni_release.

14. LukasC1

LukasC1 Bit poster

I have finally been able to install 2024-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for arm64-based Systems (KB5039212) (June 11, 2024, OS Builds 22621.3737 and 22631.3737) this morning. Thanks!

15. Wallabebe

Wallabebe Bit poster

Wo'hoo. It's moved out of Preview, and it worked correctly :)

16. AndréM

AndréM Bit poster

After the anomalies of the previous update: KB5037858 ...
    I installed the latest update KB503212 with complete success.
    Thank you all for your comments.
    :):):)

17. SamS4

SamS4 Hunter

I think you meant KB5039212 (you were missing the "9"...

AndréM likes this.
  18. RogerH16

RogerH16 Bit poster

I've bowed to the almost inevitable and reinstalled the release. 22631.3737 and all is good! Just applications to reinstall!

19. FrankO

FrankO Junior Member

The 22635.3785 was released yesterday in the beta channel, and it installed without problems on my machine. So it looks we're back to normal.

20. JohnM92

JohnM92 Bit poster

This one failed the first time for me, but installed without any issues on the second attempt.

SamS4 likes this.