Upgrading - Uninstall First or Not?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Don, May 20, 2006.

1. Don

Don Bit poster

Can someone please provide some definitive clarifications to the upgrade process:

1. Is it nessassary or preferable to uninstall a previous version before installing an upgrade?

2. If it is nessassary or preferable, why?

3. If an uninstall is nessassary or preferable prior to an upgrade, what will happen to an existing VM?

4. Where are the VM files stored in OS X?

5. Are there multiple copies of the VM files in OS X?

2. xbrianskix

xbrianskix Member

I uninstalled before upgrading, but I think it's okay both ways.

Existing VMs were fine - at lest mine were.

VM folders containing the HD images and VM config are stored in /Users/<YOUR_NAME>/Library/Parallels/<VM_NAME>

Not sure what you mean about multilpe copies of the VM files...

Cheers...

3. wesley

wesley Pro

1&2. I think it's preferable to do uninstall before upgrading from the betas to the RC. I personally upgraded from beta6 to RC1 without uninstalling first (I did remove the old installation receipt manually) and experienced no problems, but some people report otherwise.

3&4. Existing VMs are never touched, whether you uninstall before upgrade or simply upgrade.

5. Initially, there are two files comprising the VM - the HDD image and the VM configuration file - within a single folder. Double-clicking on the configuration file launches Parallels and loads the VM. You may, of course, create more HDD images for use in the same VM and you can have multiple files in the folder like that.

4. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

I upgraded from beta6 to RC1 without uninstalling. then i did the install parallel tools and upgraded nicely.

where did you find the receipt stuff, i would like to do that also

5. wesley

wesley Pro

Go to /Library/Receipts. The old receipt for beta5/6 is named Parallels-2.1.pkg or something like that. The current version is named Parallels-Desktop.pkg so if you see any other Parallels receipt there, delete them as well.