Blackberry desktop software not working

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by quadgrande, Jun 7, 2007.

1. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

Well I can't really say this works. I think it's been established that once you get the configuration page for the desktop organizer filled in (generally requiring a lot of plug and unplugging till it stops freezing) and you check the auto-sync each connection box, BB Desktop will work when you plug in.

This work around however, once the sync is done ,still does not let you go to another item like Media Manager, Application Loader, etc. on the BB Desktop Manager because at the end of the sync it's frozen again. So you must unplug and replug and go there.

I had hope that this "un-checking" the Date/Time Update might solve that but it did not in my case and because I already have the syncing jury rigged to work I can't attest to it helping that part either.

But if I had an Apple I Phone all of this would work :) A7%$#)+<!!!!

2. MisterFurious

MisterFurious Bit poster

How long must we suffer with this?

I'm getting pretty fed up with Parallels because of this. Blackberry Desktop Manager worked PERFECTLY FINE under Boot Camp, but I installed Parallels instead, because I thought it was cool.

What is NOT COOL is the way Parallels seems to ignore this problem that is important to a lot of people, incluing myself. In the face of the release of Fusion, which has already been mentioned in this thread, you would think that Parallels would work to get this issue resolved.

I have done EVERYTHING on this thread. I am running Build 5160 and the absolute latest version of Blackberry Desktop (4.2.2). I still experience the hang at reading the applications, and I've even tried multiple blackberries. No progress.

Hey, Parallels, I would suggest you resolve this NOW. Otherwise, there are a bunch of us users who might file a class-action lawsuit to get you to pay us back for buying Fusion, a product which seems to do what Parallels can't.

Get your act together NOW guys! I've already stopped recommending this product to my clients.

3. Mindflux

Mindflux Bit poster

Interesting. I tried the BB Desktop 4.3 and writing a new "OS" to my Pearl last night and got the same crash (black kernel panic curtain) in Leopard that I do in Parallels. Sounds like you got lucky.

What version of the Blackberry Desktop are you using? 4.2 SP2?

4. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

Well I did the same thing. I downloaded Fusion 1.1 desktop and Fusion's Beta VM Ware Importer, Dragged and Dropped my Parallels VM Machine into that app and in 15 mins had a working copy of Fusion. Tried my BB Desktop and it worked without a hitch. Go figure?

I would admit that the Fusion interface is not as robust and does not offer as many nice features as Parallels but so far everything USB works that did not work in Parallels. As does everything else.

Yes I would agree it is puzzling to say the least that this issue would go on for so long without being addressed, yet alone fixed by Parallels but I guess they have fallen to the same issue as a lot of software development (at least that which I observed in private industry when we did our own applications) Programmers get to about 80% in writing a new program and then send it out knowing it needs tweaks and fixes but instead of making it solid they move onto the next "cool" thing they want to do (new interfaces, new features, etc) before they fix the 20%. Then the cycle starts again. Perhaps managment is pushing for these new things for cash flow but reality is it comes back to haunt you sooner or later if you don't make what your started with solid. All those 20% items left undone come back to haunt you as add code on top of code. Then, do to complexity, you fix one thing and break 3 other things or never find the time to get it right.

So my advice is to Parallels is to at least take a stand - address the issue in a statement in the forum. (e.g. People, we know it's broke we know how to fix it and we we will fix by (blank) or we don't know what's wrong and we are investigating it and will update you every (blank) days. But to ignore the 100's of people who have to suffer through this with blackberrys and not have a solution or an answer, it sure isn't good relationships with your customers.

5. Mindflux

Mindflux Bit poster

Interesting. Why does my Fusion 1.1 kernel panic my Leopard Mac then? :(

6. bluejacket

bluejacket Bit poster

Has anyone tested the new build of parallels with blackberry yet? In the notes it says it addresses blackberry compatibility.

Cheers.

7. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

Nope but I would be interested in the outcome. I have converted my VM to Fusion.

8. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

For such a controversial subject I am surprised no one has responded to the last post stating the newest release fixed the blackberry issue. True or false? Anyone tried it?

9. a_user

a_user Bit poster

5582 does not work for me. In fact, I installed PocketMac after 5582 and it broke Parallels shared networking. I did the whole (reboot, repair perms, uninstall Parallels, reboot, repair perms, install Parallels) dance and networking is good, but now PocketMac is broken!

What the heck is going on here?

10. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all,

Thank you for your reports. Please sorry for not answering you for a long time. Parallels developers did keep the eye on the discussion and the information provided by you has been useful for them. As the result BlackBerry works with Parallels Desktop 5582.

A_user, we are investigating your issue. Could you provide us with a link on PocketMac for we could download the model you are using? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    Xenos

11. a_user

a_user Bit poster

Link to PocketMac

Hi, Xenos. Thanks for your reply.

PocketMac is RIM's official software for the Mac. You can download it from the "BlackBerry Device and Desktop Software" link here: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/

Am I the only one having trouble with 5582? Can others confirm success?

Maybe I'm the only one using a VZW Pearl (8130)...

12. RealityExplorer

RealityExplorer Member

Its extremely bad customer service to leave users in the dark like this rather than at least letting people know that the problem was being looked at. The reason to state this is that it appears to be a common problem with Parallels support that should be fixed. eg, issues posted in the beta forum were ignored for weeks, never commented on, and not fixed pre-release. Or eg for the issues I posted in the main 5582 thread.. and before that on other threads eg other cell phone related software like ATT's Xpress Mail desktop software also seeming to be broken under Leopard and Parallels.

13. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

A_user, we keep on investigating the issue. Thank you for the link. I will let you know as soon as I get any information from QA team.

Best regards,
    Xenos

14. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

A_user, QA team could not reproduce the issue you have described. PocketMac works without any problems in 5582 for us.

Please try uninstalling your PocketMac.
    Then uninstall Parallels Desktop in the following manner:

In Terminal run the commands

• sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/vmmain.kext
    • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/hypervisor.kext
    • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/Pvsvnic.kext
    • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/ConnectUSB.kext
    • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/Pvsnet.kext
    • sudo rm -rf /Library/Parallels/
    • sudo rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.parallels.*

Before you run these commands, please make sure that your VM .hdd and .pvs files are NOT stored in ~/Library/Parallels.

Reboot your Mac. Reinstall PocketMac and check if it works properly. Reinstall Parallels.

Best regards,
    Xenos

15. SD Macman

SD Macman Junior Member

Blackberry not connecting

He has a point. Yes Fusion works flawlessly with both my blackberry Pearl, 8830, and Treo 650. BUT, 1.1 is causing kernel panic and some major headaches. Corrupted some of my Quickbooks data. Had to switch back to Parallels for stability.

After previous success connecting my Pearl to Parallels 3.0 not I can get my 8830 to connect. I running a MacbookPro and build 5582 and Windows XP SP2. the issue I have now is that windows continuously gets stuck connecting and disconnecting the device.

I've tried turning the auto connect on and off as well as selecting connect to Mac OS. Neither really worked.

Any ideas?

16. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

SD MacMan -
    Other then equipment I am running the same OS for Windows, and I have Leopard on the IMAC. All of it works ok. but I do leave the auto-connect off. See Below

Well I have switched back from Fusion as my trial period ended. Pretty much everything worked fine with them, BB Desktop sync'd and hooked up each and every time. No problems. I will say the reason I switched back was their product is nowhere near as robust that and with build 5582 with parallels I have not had anywhere near the problems I once had syncing. I can now oper the BB desktop, connect the phone, sync and even change to backup, install software all remains running. Once and a while it does freeze up but it nowhere near as often. It's at the least "livable"

I have not had but one incident of kernel panic and have not been able to recreate it, in fact I'm not sure even how it happened.

Overall I'm pretty happy with Parallels right now. I even hooked up the new Windows Home Server to the 2 MAC's we have and it's backing up like Time Machine does. (Why Windows wants extra for all that crap is beyond me)

17. SD Macman

SD Macman Junior Member

I tried using the newest version of the DM as well as the version that came with the phone. No dice. Parallels recognizes the Blackberry device but quickly goes into the endless cycle of USB Device connecting and disconnecting (the cycle takes less than a second to occur and goes on until I get mad and unhook the BB). What I finally ended up doing was searching how to get my bluetooth up an running. Once I installed the bootcamp driver I was able to quicktly connect the device via bluetooth! Seems like a more stable method than the USB (at least when the USB method is acting wierd).

That said, I still want to get my USB resolved. As per Kevenw's post, Parallels is a overall more robust option. Just wish they could copy how VMWare handles USB.

If anyone has experienced and been able to resolve this endless connect / reconnect cycle please advise.

18. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

SD Macman, are you using Parallels Desktop build 5582?
    Could you attach the screenshots made when you get this endless cycle of USB Device connecting and disconnecting?
    I can only make a guess now that some driver for your Blackberry device is missing in Windows. You can install the missing driver from the DM's installation disk.

With best wishes for a Happy New Year,
    Xenos

19. SD Macman

SD Macman Junior Member

Blackberry Connect / Disconnect loop

Xenos,
    I'm running build 5582 with Windows xp sp2. I just downloaded the newest version of the DM from Blackberry. though this may fix any driver issues per your suggestion.

Once I upgraded I attached the device and it was recognized and installed by windows. It even stayed connected to windows! BUT the DM didn't recognize it. I then tried un-checked and rechecked the RIM Mass Storage Device in the USB controller seeing if this would help the DM recognize it. No luck. And after doing this windows went back into its continuous connect / disconnect cycle (where it makes the device connected and disconnected sound on and on and on).

Here are the print screens when the device was first attachd and when it gets stuck in the loop. On the second print screen it doesn't show the usb and sound controller green light flashing back and forth but that is usually the case (in conjuction with the sounds of connect / disconnect being made).

Attached Files:

20. bones

bones Bit poster

I have the exact same issue as Macman

Using the latest build of parallels 3.0 and bb desktop 4.3 . Exact same issue as he/she describes.

The bummer is i had it working with 4.2.2 in the old build, but the new build of parallels broke that setup...

Any help would be appreciated on this.