Sound no longer working in RC

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mikeshappell, May 18, 2006.

1. mikeshappell

mikeshappell Member

Sound support in Beta 6 was perfect. However, with the latest RC release, sound no longer works in the virtual machine. When the virtual machine is powered on an error appears "error writing to sound device. Lookback device will be used". I am not sure what the loopback device is, but it does not generate sound :D. Is there a workaround to get sound working in the RC or do I need to revert to the beta 6 build? My host is 10.4.6 and the Guest OS is Windows XP Professional. Thanks.

Mike

2. Gerry

Gerry Junior Member

Hmmm... That's intersting. I just upgraded to RC, and my sound in Windows XP Pro seems to be fine.

3. Edd

Edd Member

did you reinstall the tools?

4. mikeshappell

mikeshappell Member

This problem occurs as soon as the VM is powered on, long before the guest OS has loaded. I get the error message while the "BIOS" screen is still visible. It appears to be a Parallels/host problem. However, to answer your question, yes I have upgraded the tools :)

Mike

5. boogie

boogie Junior Member

i had exactly the opposite experience..sound was flakey in beta6 and seems to work without issues in RC

boogie

6. mikeshappell

mikeshappell Member

Andrew is this a confirmed issue? I am worried since sound is important in the VMs and I want to make sure the final product once again supports sound. I have pre-purchased a copy based on my experience with Beta 6, but if the final version does not support sound on my machine this product will be far less useful. I have seen a couple other reports of this issue, so I know I am not alone, but I have not seen a ton of posts which suggests it is somehow more specific to my environment. I just want it to work as well as it did in beta 6.

My problem is that while I can moved back to beta 6 for now, this is not a long term solution that will keep me up-to-date with the latest and greatest versions of the product. Help, please!

Mike

Last edited: May 20, 2006
  7. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

mikeshappell,

No it isn't known issue.

1. Try to reboot your Mac OS X and check sound issue again.
    2. If it doesn't help try to go to VM configuration editor, remove Sound device and add it again. Then start VM and check your sound issue again.

8. mikeshappell

mikeshappell Member

I tried both of those options before reporting the issue, unfortunately neither helped. I reverted to beta 6 and sound was once again working. I re-installed the RC, both over installing and removing beta 6 and installing clean and in both cases sound fails in the RC.

Mike

9. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Thanks for reporting - we will investigate this in our labs.

10. DrewDS

DrewDS Bit poster

I have the exact same problem as described above, I'm back on beta6 now which is working great.

I tried wiping all traces of beta6 before doing RC again, same issue.

11. marvelouspatric

marvelouspatric Bit poster

i have never had sound

hey all,

i've never gotten the sound to work. i started at like beta 2 or 3 and have been upgrading. today was a slow day at work, so i took my macbook with me. i completely uninstalled parallels, deleleted all my old virtual machines, disk images, everything! i ran the RC uninstaller officially and trashed all my preferences too. then, i installed the RC, and windows 98 (which is what i'm using to test it), and still nothing happening as far as sound is concerned.

yes, parallels tools are installed.

patric