Function Keys in Mac vs Windows

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by billearl, Jan 1, 2008.

1. billearl

billearl Member

I use function keys (with and w/o modifier keys) to trigger QuicKeys for Mac shortcuts in Mac OS X (10.5 & 10.4). I also have the same function key combos set to trigger equivalent QuicKeys for Windows shortcuts in my Parallels (5582) VM's (XP & Vista).

For the last several months, these function key combos are ignored by Windows when my Parallels VM is frontmost, and the Quickeys Mac shortcut is triggered instead. Prior to that, these key combos were passed through to Windows and worked properly. Unfortunately, I don't know which Parallels update changed this behavior. They have always worked properly in VMware Fusion VM's.

The same problem also applies to another Windows macro program I use, so it's not exclusively a QuicKeys issue.

How do I configure Parallels VM's to recognize these function key combos? I've checked other threads covering similar issues and have not found a solution. This is a very annoying problem for me and may drive me to switch to VMware if no solution is forthcoming.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  2. billearl

billearl Member

This seems like an important issue to me. Any comments?

3. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Bill,

Did you try pressing Fn+F8 combination instead of F8 or other functional keys in your Virtual Machine?

With best wishes for a Happy New Year,
    Xenos

4. billearl

billearl Member

Thanks. I'm not sure what you mean by Fn key. I'm using a Mac Pro, not a notebook.

5. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Bill,

I am sorry - my question has been a bit off the mark.
    We are investigating the issue. I will let you know as soon as we manage to reproduce it.

Best regards,
    Xenos

6. Steve Callan

Steve Callan Bit poster

Hey, no rush on that answer, take your time.

7. srvp

srvp Junior Member

The wired keyboard has a key just below F13 labeled "fn" to use with the function keys. I don't think it is on the smaller bluetooth one.