Cut and paste

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Howard Brazee, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Howard Brazee

Howard Brazee Hunter

My wife uses Parallels to play Windows games. She subscribes to Real Arcade and bought a game the other day - they e-mailed her a link to click on to download the game using Real Arcade.

Trouble is, she gets Mail on the Mac side, and clicking on the link wants to run Real Arcade to finish the install - on the Mac side.

So I cut the URL from her e-mail, opened Parallels, opened Firefox for Windows and tried to paste that URL. Nothing pasted.

I looked for a setting that I was missing to allow cutting and pasting but didn't find it.

I suppose we could put her e-mail somewhere where we could access it from a browser.

What do you recommend to get this link into Windows.

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

What keystroke did you use on the Windows side? Copy and Pasting works great for me, but I am on Build 5580, and there are some reported problems in 5582... What build are you using? You forgot to tell us that important fact.

3. Howard Brazee

Howard Brazee Hunter

Build 5160 (I thought it was set to update automatically).

When my first attempt didn't work, I used menus to cut and paste. I could paste the URL into Safari, but not into Firefox in Windows.

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

So, you can copy and paste from Windows to Mac, but not Mac to Windows?

Have you tried re-installing Parallels tools?

Also, in the interim you can open TextEdit, paste the link into TextEdit, save it to your OS X desktop, and then drag and drop the file over to the Windows side.

5. Howard Brazee

Howard Brazee Hunter

No, I'll try that tomorrow.

Or I can e-mail it, close Mail, and then get the e-mail from within Windows (using a browser).

But I want cutting and pasting to work.

6. Khoji

Khoji Member

This is a known problem with the current build of Parallels in both Tiger and Leopard that is caused by a recent Apple security update. It has also broken Drag & Drop in Coherence. The Parallels team has confirmed that it is their number 1 priority for fixing and that an update will be available "in January". See this thread for details:

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=18577