Unable to increase the size of my virtual hard disk

Discussion in 'Parallels Image Tool' started by MacYQB, Oct 24, 2007.

1. MacYQB

MacYQB Bit poster

I have tried to increase the size of my virtual hard disk with Parallels Image Tool and I always get this message:

"The name of the hard disk image file /Users/michel/Library/Parallels/winxp/winxp.hdd is not valid as it refers to the existing folder object. Please specify another name for the image file."

Any solution?

Thanks

2. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

I had same problem with Ubuntu - got a message from Parallels telling me they're aware of the problem and that the only work around is to reinstall the OS on a larger partition in the virtual machine.

3. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

This is an odd issue. Could you provide us with some additional information?
    What's your virtual hard disk size? To which size are you trying to increase it? How much space do you have on your C drive in VM?

Best regards,
    Xenos

4. mungbean

mungbean Bit poster

I've just seen the same problem with Parallels 3.0 build 5582 and an Ubuntu Feisty 7.04 HDD image... it was 3GB and filled up pretty quick but didn't seem to automatically grow, despite that option being set when I made the VM.

Running Image Tool on the .hdd file I watched a progress bar growing very slowly and then when it reached the end it said it couldn't read the hdd file.

So I'm gonna have to create the VM all over again with a bigger disk and hope it never fills up...?

5. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Mungbean,

Please try the following:

Compact your Virtual Machine hard disk. For this you should open Configuration Editor -> Hard Disk -> Advanced -> Compact.

Then start Image Tool. After you have browsed to your VM .hdd file, choose Manage disk properties.

If you are proposed to expand the disk then, check this option.
    Remove the check at Split virtual hard disk image file.
    Enable Merge snapshots.

Click Start.

Try increasing the size of the virtual hard disk again.

Before going through all these steps, please make a backup of your VM hard disk (save the .hdd file on any data storage).

Best regards,
    Xenos