Copy-Paste Suddenly doesn't Work

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by RCBOOKS, Dec 17, 2007.

1. rbh

rbh Member

Staying on Tiger

Hi Guys,

Back from holidays and in catch-up mode.

Just a last minute contribution to this thread (I know the Parallels guys have been hard at work over the silly season) to make the comment that a "solution" of "upgrade to Leopard" in any form isn't going to be of use to those of use who use Parallels daily in a secure production environment...

I will not be able to migrate to 10.5.x till at least March 2008.

Additionally, it is actually probably an Apple issue as Xenos(?) did mention previously that several other OS X functions are now improperly implemented/behaving, so we need to give the guys time to work it out with Apple (if possible) too.

All the best for 2008
    Rachel

BTW - I too have the same problem as described below (and all those above) and am on MBP 17" 2.4GHz, OS X 10.4.11 with all patches, Parallels v3.0 build 5582 (05/12/2007) running Vista Ultimate (with all the latest patches):

I also noticed I cannot drag a file into Outlook and attach it like I could before copy and past quick working.

Now the only way I can attach a file from the Mac side into a Windows Outlook email is to use "Attach", "File", then go through a 'shared' folder from Parallels into my Mac.

What a pain since I used to just grab a file on the Mac and drag it over into my Windows Outlook email program.

2. peterlemer

peterlemer Hunter

broken clipboard workaround

In desperation I copy/pasted my mac text to textedit and saved the file in my shared folder, then picked it up with WordPad in XP and copy/pasted again to my Windows document

peter

3. gno01

gno01 Bit poster

I would like to join the notification for fix update

I have been fighting this one as well... mainly in... I need to send attachments frequently in Microsoft Outlook (exchange server) set up on the PC side of my system. The drag and drop does not work (as well as the copy/paste), so there is too much time wasted in negotiating menus to find the attachments.
    This fix can't come too soon!

GNO

4. GlennG

GlennG Member

It will work the other way: from outlook you'll be able to drag & drop using Windows Explorer to Outlook. From Windows connect to the Mac (z:?)

5. nashmarkt

nashmarkt Junior Member

Simple work around for now - for text only

I am sure most of you know about this but hey it does not hurt to repeat it.

6. nashmarkt

nashmarkt Junior Member

Simple work around for now - for text only

I am sure most of you know about this but hey it does not hurt to repeat it.

I use a 2 Yahoo messenger IDs and login with each to Mac and Windows OS. The I send myself the text that I want to paste in instant messenger.
    Each messenger has some number of character limitations but for me it does work as I do not paste very large text.

7. fattymelt

fattymelt Bit poster

This is pretty ridiculous. Why are the developers waiting to make this part of a much biiger update? This is a serious problem causing lots of headaches. Look at the crazy workarounds we have to use.

Can't they just release a "hotfix" to solve this major issue?

8. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

fattymelt,
    Problem is that they used to do that, but it would introduce a whole slew of errors. Sit tight, it'll be out soon, I feel the pain as well.

9. bowbot

bowbot Junior Member

Looking for an update

Hey Xenos, any news here? my first post was on 12/19/2007 was hoping for a quicker solution.

10. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello everybody,

The copy-paste issue is fixed in-house and the new release is being tested by QA team.
    The build with the fix is coming soon. Please sorry for the delay.

Best regards,
    Xenos

11. fattymelt

fattymelt Bit poster

Eru -

I wasn't suggesting that they release the fix before it is tested. That would be silly.

In an early post, a Parralels rep said that they were making the fix part of a release that included a lot of other fixes. My suggestion was that they simply release the (fully QA'd) fix for this problem in advance since this is such a significant bug/issue.

From reading the last post from Xenos, sounds like it should be here any time. Although it would have been nice to have gotten some reference to the actual time frame they are looking at.

12. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all,

I feel your pain but I am not authorized to announce the dates of the releases.
    Apologizes...

Best regards,
    Xenos

13. nmilmine

nmilmine Junior Member

Thank you Xenos for all you and your colleagues are doing to fix this troubling bug as speedily as possible.

Just a further observation as to its many aspects - I had suspected this, but today have confirmed it:

When working in Windows (Publisher) and using other Windows applications (Word) as data source, I find that the first time I copy from Word to Publisher using Copy/Paste (actually <Cntr-C><Edit-Paste Special>) it works. But the next attempt to copy/paste results in a message that clipboard is busy. Attempts beyond this one result in the paste functions being greyed out in Publisher.

I've found two 'get-arounds' for this: (1) Exit & re-start Publisher then paste. Very tedious! And (2) drag and drop from Word to Publisher. This works, but I then have to format the text dropped into Publisher - whereas Paste Special ensures data pasted takes up the formatting in Publisher at the point of insertion).

So when the fix is tried and tested from Parallels I shall be jolly pleased and grateful!

14. mekstract

mekstract Bit poster

Same problem here. Another workaround: Create a transfer file in TextEdit. Save the file as an RTF to your Windows Desktop (uncheck Hide Extension and let the Mac add the extension). Keep the file in an easily accessible corner of your Windows desktop and it can be opened in MS Word or WordPad. Just resave the TextEdit file when you paste in new text. You just need to close and reopen the Windows file whenever you have new text. Meanwhile, we are all eagerly anticipating the real fix. Thanks!

15. rogercohen

rogercohen Bit poster

Drag and Drop and Copy and Paste Still Broken

How do I get an update? I posted a message to Support, but never received a reply.

Mac OS 10.4.11, Parallels 3.0 5582

16. cksokolov

cksokolov Bit poster

Does vmware have this problem?

Does anybody know if vmware's product has this same problem?

17. rkcarter

rkcarter Junior Member

You could search their support forum.

18. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

Roger, Parallels Support engineer gave you the answer yesterday. I hope you received it. We are sorry for the delay. However we never leave our users requests unanswered.

I will post in this thread as soon as the build with the fix is available.

Best regards,
    Xenos

19. GlennG

GlennG Member

It's now just about a month since this problem was first reported. It is damn inconvenient on a daily basis.

What's happening? Where's the fixed update? When can we expect the fixed update?

20. agranovsky

agranovsky Member

Guys, what's the ETA on the fix? It's been promised for a long long time now ... just drop whatever else you wanted to put into this release, do it later, and just give people the patch now.