Growl with Parallels

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by oprah_noodlemantra, Nov 29, 2007.

1. oprah_noodlemantra

oprah_noodlemantra Bit poster

Heres a tought, it would be kinda nice if Growl notifications work with Parallels.
    But I don't know if its technically possible? What do you guys think?

2. misterjangles

misterjangles Member

I assume you mean windows notifications would show in growl..? I think it would be not too much of a big deal for parallels tools to listen to windows notice events and then fire a growl event.

Not super useful to me personally but i can see if you keep windows always minimized or something, but it is running outlook. Then you could see a growl notice when an email came in.

3. yy17616433

yy17616433 Bit poster

4. johnoyler

johnoyler Member

This is probably possible without Parallels. You need to configure growl to accept messages from across the network, google for this.

Then, on the windows side, you'd need to do scripting for the various messages you want to send. Installing perl would be easiest, I think, there is a Growl module. It might be possible from a cmd.exe bat script though. Check into it. Assuming the apps you want to do this from even have the hooks.

On linux, this would be easy. But windows isn't even really an OS. I guess you know that though, since you have a real computer.