Shared Networking is Broke

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by jraymonds, Dec 9, 2007.

1. jraymonds

jraymonds Bit poster

I am running Leopard on a MacBook Pro 17" and shared networking is always grayed out. I have tried Parallels versions 5160, 5570, 5580, and 5582. I have tried uninstalling, rebooting, manually removing files, using the uninstaller, reinstalling, and have searched the forums for other ideas but I am coming up empty. My bottom line is pvsnatd is running but the NAT ports never appear in the Network system pane (only the original AirPort, Ethernet, FireWire, and Bluetooth) and therefore the option is always grayed out in Parallels. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, and rebooted so many times I am about to give up and simply migrate to VMWare. I know that works on my machine and I would like to compare both side to side but thus far this issue has been a deal breaker. If anyone has any hints as to how to get the Parallels NAT ports up and running please let me know.

2. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

3. jraymonds

jraymonds Bit poster

Yes, permissions have been repaired and the disk structure has been verified.

4. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Which system are you using, 10.4 or 10.5? If you are using 10.5 open System Preferences, select Network, and click on the "+" button below the list of network interfaces. There should be two ethernet adaptors available to select as an interface in addition to the network interfaces already in use. Most likely they will be called "Ethernet Adaptor (en2)" and "Ethernet Adaptor (en3)". Add en2 with the name "Parallels NAT" and en3 with the name "Parallels Host-Guest".

5. jraymonds

jraymonds Bit poster

As mentioned in the first post I am using Leopard -- specifically 10.5.1. When I go into Network and click the + button all I see are: AirPort, Ethernet, Firewire, Bluetooth, VPN, PPPoE, and 6 to 4 -- NOTHING else has ever appeared also as noted in the original post but hopefully this reply will make things more clear.

6. jraymonds

jraymonds Bit poster

Also, while in Network -- if I go into the tool next to the + / - and say manage virtual interfaces and say new link Aggregate I do see the following:

Ethernet
    Ethernet Adapter ((null))
    Ethernet Adapter ((null))

This section is entirely beyond my knowledge and I do not know if what I see here is related to the Parallels ports or not!

7. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Sorry, I somehow missed that when I scanned over your post.

Most likely "Ethernet Adapter ((null))" is a Parallels network adaptor. Obviously Parallels' installer isn't doing its job and getting these network interfaces added properly. Try following the instructions in this article if you have not done so already. If you have already done that (and that's what you meant by "manually removing files") then it seems your networking configuration is going to need to be manually changed somehow. Unfortunately I don't know enough of the details at the moment to tell you how to do that. Hopefully someone from Parallels can help if that is the case.

8. jraymonds

jraymonds Bit poster

You are correct -- that is something I already tried. Hopefully someone else might have a solution that will work.

9. mvanhorn

mvanhorn Junior Member

In my case, too, shared networking stopped working when I installed 8852. Fortunately, bridged still works, so I'm not dead in the water, but I did have to allocate more addresses, which isn't the optimal solution.

Mike VanHorn
    michael.vanhorn@wright.edu

10. MichaelSinclair

MichaelSinclair Bit poster

Re: Shared Networking is still Broke

Same here, installation of recent Parallels build 5582 went fine. Still not able to use Shared Networking connection. Host fails as well.

However, something interesting this build... IE7 cannot successfully load a web page from anywhere, however, the Windows XP Pro Network Diagnostics now indicates that the network connection is working. A Ping of a particular web site works as well. Checked DNS - working. Checked netstat -a and ipconfig /all - all looks good. Still IE7 fails. Kaspersky Update runs successfully. Go Figure!

Networking panels in the Mac, OS 10.5.1 all indicate healthy connections.

Returned to a Bridged Connection - all is working as before. Sigh!

Thanks All,
    --
    Michael

11. vanpatrick

vanpatrick Member

I am experiencing the loss of shared networking with 5582 and OS 10.5.1 as well, and the command "sudo killall -hup pvsnatd" works for a few starts of the VM, but then I have to use it again on every 3rd or fourth run of Vista Ultimate. Very inconvenient.... is this a bug? Is something not configured correctly in Parallels, Vista or OS X?

12. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all,

Please check, in Mac OS -> System Preferences -> Network -> Show Network Status, if Parallels NAT is green. If it is red, try the steps:

1. On the dock click Mac OS -> System Preferences -> Network.
    2. Show Built-in Ethernet.
    3. Choose "Off" for Configure IPv4 and click Apply.
    4. After that choose "Using DHCP" again and click Apply once more.
    5. Show Parallels NAT and repeat the steps 3 and 4.

Best regards,
    Xenos

13. josiascabelo

josiascabelo Bit poster

I'm having the same problem. My Windows XP works normally, but I cannot access any TCP services from my Leopard.

Did you solve this?

14. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

Josiascabelo, did you check Parallels NAT and Parallels Host-Guest port indicators statuses in Mac OS -> System Preferences -> Network -> Show Network Status? Are they green?

With best wishes for a Happy New Year,
    Xenos

15. budjames

budjames Junior Member

Downgrade from IE 7 to IE 6 for more reliable connectivity

I was having a lot of internet disconnect problems (blank web pages) using IE 7 on WinXP on the latest version of Parallels running on OSX 10.5.1 on my MacBook Pro 15".

I downgraded to IE 6 and my internet connectivity is greatly improved. I only had one instance of lost internet connection in about 4 weeks. I used to have problems every session or so using IE 7.

If you do go back to IE 6, you can install the Google toolbar (free) to get the same searching capability as is available in IE 7.

Bud