XP and Parallels compatibility

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by slabman, Jan 11, 2008.

1. slabman

slabman Member

Is ANY version of Windows XP compatible with Parallels? I've seen some XP software which states it runs only with BOOT CAMP, but not PARALLELS. In other words, does MS make a product, other than an upgrade version, of course, which will NOT run under Parallels? Also, do I need XP Pro or will the Home version work OK?

2. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

Al versions work fine if they have SP2 on board.

3. jbkendrick

jbkendrick Bit poster

Search Amazon for "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP2B for System Builders" I used this to install to a new iMac and everything installed and works flawlessly. The kicker is that it is only $89.99 at Amazon. They actually recommend it with a Parallels purchase, though of course you don't have to purchase the two together. I don't think this price can be beat. John

4. gypsy

gypsy Junior Member

Thanks for the advice, however on amazon I am only coming across the XP home edition SP2B "upgrade". So I suppose you need a new boxed edition (vs. disc from Dell etc) for parallels, but am uncertain as to how "for system builders" may be different?
    Thanks! New to this, sorry....comparing parallels to vmware fusion still.
    Mac stores all say VMware fusion. I need my dymo label printer to work with paypal is main need for XP at all.

5. jbkendrick

jbkendrick Bit poster

There is nothing different about what is included in the install. The "for systems builders" version was originally intended for people building their own or for selling systems. You could try your Dell disc, however, the Parallels requirement specifically says that OEM versions will not work. I just checked and it is still available on Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Win...sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1200225865&sr=8-1
    Don't let the (old version) notation worry you, it said the same when I purchased it and has been working just fine. It will upgrade itself anyway as do all Windows versions.

I have a great VMWare vs. Parallels study reported on my blog at http://johnkendrick.wordpress.com/2008/01/03/which-is-the-better-windows-emulator-well-that-depends/ that may interest you also.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008