Parallels vs. VMware fusion

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by gypsy, Jan 12, 2008.

1. brkirch

brkirch Pro

2. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

I was going to say the same thing. Put in as much RAM as you can afford and your machine will take.

I buy my RAM at: www.crucial.com

They have a great machine wizard that leads you to the exact right kind of RAM.

3. gypsy

gypsy Junior Member

Wow, just found it on crucial, they have 2 512's for just $27 or 2 gb for $48, sounds too good to be true! Any reccommendations? Can i get "too much". Clueless how to install. :)

4. brkirch

brkirch Pro

There is a limit to how much RAM your computer can hold and if you aren't given the option of more than 2 GB then that is probably the most your computer can hold. What kind of Mac are you using? As for doing the install, refer to my previous post for links to RAM install instructions.

5. gypsy

gypsy Junior Member

I downloaded the scanner and it recommended 2 GB, seems like overkill for my use, but if it cannot "hurt" to have too much, I may give it a try.
    Thanks again! Can't wait to try parallels and fusion and compare!

FYI, I have a Mac Mini.....so I did not see your link for it! :)

6. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Sorry, I didn't see an article on Apple's site specifically for installing RAM in a Mac Mini. I was able to find this through Google though:
    Mac Mini RAM Upgrade Tutorial

Also, it looks like the 2 GB from Crucial is what you need, since Mac Minis can't have more than 2 GB of memory anyway.

7. gypsy

gypsy Junior Member

Not sure I follow, if they can't have more then 2 GB and Crucials scanner recommends 2 GB and I already have 1 GB, then that is 3, so how can they recommend such?

8. brkirch

brkirch Pro

The Mac Mini comes with 2 512MB RAM modules (1 GB total), but the Mac Mini only has two RAM slots. This means that in order to upgrade, you'll have to take out your existing RAM anyway.

9. gypsy

gypsy Junior Member

Gotcha, I had initially assumed it allowed up to 3, which would be great!
    No go on this one! I assume that crucial offers quality parts.....now to make sure I dont break anything!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  10. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Yes, you are doing a replacement, your RAM slots are already full with two 512MB RAM modules. If you get 2GB you are getting two 1GB RAM modules, so you will take the two existing 512MB RAM modules out and replace them with the 1GB ones.

11. gypsy

gypsy Junior Member

Realized this later, I have a macbook pro also, and it has 2 GB but I cannot use it for much business unfortunately. More for travel. Would be so great to have the 2 macs networked or remote into the mini so I can always have the same files to work on! One day.....I will master all of this thanks to parallels and or fusion!

12. TheConfuzed1

TheConfuzed1 Bit poster

@gypsy--

If you need to share files between two Macs, it's actually very easy to do...

To make Mac_A visible to Mac_B:

On Mac_A go to System Preferences->Sharing preference pane and enable File Sharing.
    On Mac_B go to the Finder and select "Connect to Server..." from the Go menu. Click on the Mac_A icon and enter a username and password for a Mac OS X user defined on Mac_A.

To make Mac_B visible to Mac_A:

On Mac_B go to System Preferences->Sharing preference pane and enable File Sharing.
    On Mac_A go to the Finder and select "Connect to Server..." from the Go menu. Click on the Mac_B icon and enter a username and password for a Mac OS X user defined on Mac_B.