Has anyone resized a Parallels 3 hdd?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by shaunconn, Jun 10, 2007.

1. GregMP

GregMP Bit poster

Wow, responsive forum, seems that both the members and the admins are confused by Parallels.

There, I've done it, I've wasted two half-days trying to get this to work with no help, and no logical explanation in the Parallels PDF manual. This is really exciting software, I've never been so happy to piss away my money.

Would one of the admins please start addressing questions? This is a useless forum otherwise.

2. brkirch

brkirch Pro

The latest update adds Parallels Image Tool back and it should allow you to resize your Parallels Desktop 3 disk images.

3. GregMP

GregMP Bit poster

Many thanks, I apologize for snapping and losing my cool.

4. DarkPrinc3

DarkPrinc3 Bit poster

Completely Ridiculous

What a stupid program, this thread shouldn't have been going on for nearly as long as it has.

How do I REDUCE the size of my hard drive space. I have windows, thats it... it shouldn't eat 32Gigs of my memory. Image tool only lets you increase. Compactor isn't doing anything to help either. I upgraded to 4650.

DP3

5. DarkPrinc3

DarkPrinc3 Bit poster

Oh by the by

Here's an article on how to transfer a parallels drive to a VMWare... the minute there is a sure fire way for me to resize this thing, I am dropping parallels for VMWare. I hate to bad mouth anyone, but this is currently and inferior product with horrible support. Hopefully they can clean up their act or they'll just end up losing more business.

http://johnadolan.typepad.com/viantsolutions/2007/05/parallels_to_vm.html

DP3

6. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

DarkPrinc3,

Please try to run Parallels Compressor from menu Actions. It should help to optimize size of your virtual hard disk.

7. sra

sra Bit poster

I just upgraded w/o the knowledge it would prevent my disk from being expandable. What happened to expandable? I NEED help. I depend on this setup for my livelyhood. My disk image appears to be a .dmg not the .hdd you are speaking of. I am not as computer literate and the directions you gave do not make sense to me. Any chance I could have specific directions, point by point? The "mapping" and "x:x" and where to find the files to save loose me in the dust. I really need this as my disk is completely full. the reason I went with this setup in the first place was because of the expandable disk image feature. Had I known about this I would have never gone with this setup. I have got to think may other people are in the same boat. Anything you could offer would be most appreciated.

8. ericshapland@mac.com

ericshapland@mac.com Bit poster

I'm onto a winner...

apparently not...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  9. Ynot

Ynot Pro

ericshapland@mac.com say good bye for your data!!

10. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Ah, ok, i tell what concrete ericshapland@mac.com did wrong.

He changed whole disk size, ok, fine. But in storages section he did not add anything that can store data on free space. So, all data that he tried to write after the existing storage will go to the information heaven. )

And, of course you should not change the storage section Begin and End parameters, because the file that store your data has structure that can be corrupted in case of incorrect parameters of storage.

11. ericshapland@mac.com

Humble Pie...

I've taken my post down in response. Can you tell me what else should have been done? I haven't had a problem with it so far but I don't want to either and have gone back to my back up file. I'm just interested to know.

ta

12. fred 121

fred 121 Bit poster

Same issue for me.

My HD is running out of space. I have a HDD file of 24Gig out of which 14Gig are empty and I would like to get them back.

Compression, split and other manipulations didn't work. I'll be trying the "Trueimage" exploit but isn't there another easy way to do it?

Thx

13. ericshapland@mac.com

Go to the help menu and check for updates. The new update for parallels comes with a HD file resizer/ virtual disk utility. Works fine.

14. ericshapland@mac.com

Once that's done you should be able to make use of the free space using the Windows Disk Management utility.

15. fred 121

fred 121 Bit poster

I have done that and didn't find the "HD file resizer / virtual disk utility". My version seems up to date (this is what it says: build 5582 |*3.0 for Mac). Where could I find this utility? In the guest OS or in the Primary OS?

16. ericshapland@mac.com

/Applications/Parallels/Parallels Image Tool. That will set the size of your virtual disk. Once that process has completed, start your virtual machine and in windows go to start then run then type in diskmgmt.msc ant resize your partition to use the extra space you've applied.

17. ericshapland@mac.com

You can also use partition magic to resize the partitions if you have that available to you. It is much easier to use

18. fred 121

fred 121 Bit poster

Finally did it with the Trueimage thing and it worked fine. Got back 12Gig on my hard drive that I really needed.

Parallels image tool does not help. Thanks for the hints anyway.

19. MD4MOMS

MD4MOMS Bit poster

I cannot figure out what is going on here.

I run Windows XP SP3 as guest OS on Parallels 3.0 build 5600 on an iMac 2 GHz Intel Core Duo with 2 GB ram. I, too, ran out of HD space in Windows (damn bloated OS).

I followed the instructions in the Parallels Knowledge Base and managed to install a new HD; drive "E," which Windows recognizes as properly formatted. That does not solve my problem with lack of hdd space on my "C" drive.

Apparently, Parallels 2.X had a hdd expander in Tools I did not know about, and 3.0 does not. Is this correct? We are waiting for a new hard drive expander in some future version? Is this correct?

Has anyone tried Partition Magic or Partition Manager to merge their C and E (or whatever you call it) hard drives into one large drive? Would this be a solution, or do these programs fail to work properly in Parallels? There is mention of both programs in the knowledge base article, but it is rather cryptic.

Perhaps someone from Parallels will jump in here and help me out.

Thank you.

20. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven