Full-Screen Transition Side-Effects

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by RandyS, May 20, 2006.

1. RandyS

RandyS Member

Hi,

I mentioned this problem a couple of betas ago and someone from Parallels said they’d take care of it, but it remains in the RC.

When making the transition to full screen (even now with the cube effect), the Macintosh screen is transiently switched to a lower resolution (in fact, much smaller). When this happens, running applications, in good Macintosh style, adapt to the change in screen size (specifically, to a reduction in its size) by moving and / or resizing their windows to make sure they remain visible in the new, smaller screen configuration.

This is a real problem for the Parallels full-screen transition, as it leaves many windows shrunk and displaced.

I hope you can find a way to fix this, because it's very disruptive.

Randall Schulz

2. adamsfbay

adamsfbay Junior Member

Agree. This is a pain.

On my 15" MBP, when I swtich to fullscreen mode and back, all OS X apps are resized inappropriately, making fullscreen useless for me for the time being.

I typically start up the VM in a custom resolution (1060X793), then switch to full screen, then come back to OS X using apple-H.

Please fix this.

3. Scott Willsey

Scott Willsey Hunter

I won't even use full screen mode anymore because of this. I get my OS X app windows where I want them and what size I want them and I don't like that being arbitrarily changed on me.

4. mikeshappell

mikeshappell Member

I just checked and I don't see this problem in beta 6. When I go to full screen and return all of my windows are just how I left them. I also noticed that I get native resolution on beta 6 in full screen. However, in the RC I see the exact problem you describe. I also only get the set windows resolution in full screen, as opposed to the native resolution I saw in beta 6. Like the others on this thread I find this objectionable enough not to use full screen in the RC. At this point I have returned to beta 6 due to all of the issues with the RC (for me).

Mike

5. quixos

quixos Junior Member

in an earlier thread this has been discussed. they are going to make changes to allow VirtueDesktops work in Parallels. look around for the thread. :)

6. enthios

enthios Member

There is a check box that allows you the option to resize to fit the resolution of the screen in full-screen mode, or to keep the resolution that you had in windowed mode. That solves the problem. I can't remember where the check-box is, but it's there. I use it. Works fine.

7. dialo

dialo Bit poster

I'm getting shadow glitches when switching from full screen on a brand new MacBook. Don't know if this is a hardware issue with the MacBook or something caused by Parallels. Any insights?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. pcolag8r

pcolag8r Member

dialo,

I saw this issue (shadow problem) being discussed on Apples's "macbook" discussions forum (apple-support-discussions-macbook). It seems they tracked it down to not having enough physical ram. Only users with the stock 512mb ram exhibited the problem. Users who had higher amounts of physical ram didn't see the issue and users who upgraded saw it go away after the upgrade. It seems that 512mb ram with 64mb being shared with the graphics system is not sufficient. Anyway, check it out over there.

Found at least 3 discussions about the issue:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=485680
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=394694
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=400981&tstart=45

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  9. dialo

dialo Bit poster

Thanks for the info. It's a huge help. :)

10. RandyS

RandyS Member

I take it you mean this:

Preferences → User Interface → Fit guest resolution

Mine was on when I was getting the problematic symptom. Yours is off?

RRS

11. jonmagic

jonmagic Bit poster

Same problem

I've tried changing that preference and it doens't help either way for me... I've got Parallels bound to my second desktop in Virtue and when I'm in that desktop running winXP full screen and then use my hotkey to switch to OSX it always spins once, then spins back, takes XP out of full screen and leaves it in a window...

Any ideas?