Copy-Paste Suddenly doesn't Work

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by RCBOOKS, Dec 17, 2007.

1. cksokolov

cksokolov Bit poster

Yes, please!

Yes, please! I'm sure I'm not alone in using virtualization almost entirely for the ability to copy and paste into one or two Windows programs. Thanks.

2. nekkyj

nekkyj Bit poster

Wow, endless frustration for a month now. Fix can't come too soon.

Not sure if this workaround has been mentioned, but I've been using a Google Document open in both OSX and Windows - updated in real time in each, so no saving/closing/opening as in a txt file. Hope this helps.

3. boyler

boyler Bit poster

I did a search through the VMware Fusion support forums and I don't see any issues with copy and paste with VMware Fusion. I am going to give Fusion a try this weekend, because I am way too unproductive with no copy and paste. It also concerns me greatly that it has been a month with no fix to this bug. Makes me wonder how long it will take for the "next" bug to be fixed!

4. rbh

rbh Member

To be fair to the guys, they didn't know about the bug until the security update FUBAR'd people' install in the period heading into Xmas.

Also, given the calendar dates and events over the last 4 weeks, how many folk worked over the silly season and New Year? It appears that at least some of the Parallels guys did, investigating the issue, reproducing the issue, fixing the issue and now testing/QA'ing the fix...

As for VMware Fusion - it doesn't have a lot of the host/guest interoperability complexity that Parallels does, because VMware VMs are really designed to run as standalone (self-contained) environments on the host - not have the tight integration of host/guest apps, drag and drop and the other cool things we like about Parallels. Unity is a step in that direction though...

I'd wait till the end of the month before getting too worked up.

R

5. planetrich

planetrich Bit poster

I'm now looking at going the Vmware route (it looks like it's $80 and there's a $30 rebate there, which doesn't seem bad). Is there *any* way of reusing your current Parallels virtual image in vmware (assume not)? The bigger issue is the pain going through setting up a new virtual image :-o

6. Slimmoo

Slimmoo Bit poster

Well we have no choice but to wait. Also, I know how annoying it can be to qa a bug so I'm good with waiting. Until than I will use the google solution (thanks for that by the way).

7. boyler

boyler Bit poster

VMware has a free converter tool called "VMware Importer" which converts Parallels VMs to Fusion VMs... so it's easy to convert a VM to Fusion for testing purposes. I plan to test it out this weekend to make sure copy and paste works, and that performance is adequate:

http://www.vmware.com/download/fusion/importer_tool.html

8. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Dear all,

The free update Parallels Desktop 3.0 Build 5584 is available for download.

This build provides hotfixes for Drag&Drop and Copy/Paste issues caused by the recent Security Updates on Mac OS X Tiger.

It also includes these minor fixes:

- Parallels Desktop installer hanging on some rare occasions;
    - Xorg 1.3.0 in newest Linux distributions (such as Ubuntu 7.10, Fedora Core 7, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 and others) cannot initialize 1600x1200x24 default resolution.

You can download the update manually here and update your existing Parallels Desktop version (keep in mind that clean re-install is recommended to avoid any possible issues with updating).

Best regards,
    Xenos

9. Rudolf

Rudolf Bit poster

Having installed Build 5584 I'm ask for the Activation Key and
    as the activation key for 5582 doesn't work, I'm stuck now.
    (I purchased parallels from element 5)

So, Xenos, what can I do?

r.

10. macsweet

macsweet Bit poster

Xenos
    How does one do a reinstall of Paarllels without losing the xp installation?
    Alan

11. dream_police

dream_police Bit poster

Xenos,

The 5584 update fixes the copy paste bug for us. Thanks!

12. jqj@uoregon.edu

jqj@uoregon.edu Bit poster

Good job. I updated my existing 5582 to 5584 without a hitch, and I can now copy and paste again. I trust many users will breathe a sigh of relief!

Upgaders should glance at the release notes, which report a couple of rare performance problems to watch out for.

13. JBBeaubeaux

JBBeaubeaux Junior Member

I updated, (not clean install), just updated, to the new build and everything is great. I can copy and paste and I can drag and drop a file from my Mac into an email in Windows Outlook.

Absolutely no problems, no glitches, no asking for new activation codes, nothing.

Just a fast upgrade that fixed the copy and paste problem.

Thanks!

Jim

14. daniel.rutten

daniel.rutten Bit poster

Just downloaded and installed the update and everything works as expected.

Please pass my thanks (and praise the heros) to the team that made this update possible in such a short time.

15. pendolino

pendolino Member

boyler - can you please let us know on this thread or othwerwise how fusion works for you after migrating your installation?

thanks

16. yyankelev

yyankelev Bit poster

WOO HOO!!! It works!

17. nekkyj

nekkyj Bit poster

Aargh! After waiting this long now I haven't been able to get the download link to open all morning :(

Is there an alternate download site, or is this just me? I can't even hit the download.parallels.com site.

Thanks. Glad the fix is out. Wish I had it.

18. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Nekkyj,

Did you try using the link posted in this thread or the link from the page with downloads on www.parallels.com?

Are you still unable to download the build 5584?

Best regards,
    Xenos

19. Jerry

Jerry Member

20. MichaelPrichard

MichaelPrichard Junior Member

Link from download page doesn't work

Thanks Jerry. That link worked.