Why can't I access the internet using shared networking all the sudden?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by freakymac, Jan 16, 2008.

1. freakymac

freakymac Junior Member

Yesterday I was using Windows XP via Parallels 3.0 through "Shared networking" instead of "Bridged ethernet". I restarted my MacPro last night and now all the sudden I cannot connect to the internet in Windows. When I set it to bridged ethernet it works, but I can't access my work's VPN when is connected through Cisco VPN on OS X.

Can someone tell me what I need to do to get it working again? I didn't change any settings in Parallels before this started happening.

2. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

please try to use the following command in Terminal:
    sudo killall –hup pvsnatd

Best regards,
    Stace

3. bobodobo

bobodobo Member

I have a similar problem as freakymac. I can't use "Shared Networking" any more, it's always grayed out, and the only option is "Bridged Ethernet." Stacey's suggestion didn't help at all. In fact, I can't even create a new virtual machine with shared networking, no matter what I do, "Shared Networking" is still grayed out. Of course I've restarted everything multiple times. I've never had this problem before with Parallels. Any other suggestions?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  4. freakymac

freakymac Junior Member

Unfortunately, that didn't work for me either. I noticed that the LAN Status icon on the right of the taskbar says "Limited or no connectivity". If anyone knows of a solution to this please let me know.

I really wish I knew why Parallels works sometimes then other times it does not, even though no changes are made. I have a project that I need to work on that I can only access using Visual Studio Pro on Windoze and this problem is really putting a damper on my progress.

5. BillyBreen

BillyBreen Bit poster

I've been having this issues as well since last night. Did you install yesterday's slew of Software Updates from Apple? I did, and Shared Networking hasn't worked since.

6. freakymac

freakymac Junior Member

Yes, come to think of it I did. (which is why I had to reboot my MacPro)

7. BillyBreen

BillyBreen Bit poster

Ok, two may be a coincidence, but my money is on that.

8. bobodobo

bobodobo Member

Same here, been "updating" (if you can call it that.)

9. BillyBreen

BillyBreen Bit poster

Ok, Stace or anyone else at Parallels: you may want to look into a correlation between the latest Apple software updates and failures in Shared Networking.

10. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

did you try to use this article?

Best regards,
    Stacey

11. BillyBreen

BillyBreen Bit poster

Yep, that did it. Thanks!

12. MtnViewJohn

MtnViewJohn Junior Member

I also cannot get shared networking to work all of a sudden. I have switched over to bridged networking for now. The sudo killall -hup ... trick did not help and the article referenced by Stacy did not help. The configuration editor shows shared networking as enabled and working on my system but Windows in the VM is unable to access the internet.

13. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

MtnViewJohn,
    please open 'System Preferences' of your Mac, select 'Network' -> 'Network Status'. There you should find Parallels NAT and so on. Could you please provide me with a screenshot of this window?

Best regards,
    Stacey

14. stein.joel@gmail.com

stein.joel@gmail.com Bit poster

I am also suddenly not able to connect to the internet. Yesterday I installed the software updates Apple released on Jan 15, and since then have not been able to connect to the internet. I've tried the command line suggestion (above), tried both bridged to hosted networking, and even the Knowledge Base article on Internet Sharing. Nothing works, though in my Paralleled Windows Network Connections, I see a Local Area Connection that's "connected." How can this be fixed?

Attached Files:

15. MtnViewJohn

MtnViewJohn Junior Member

Hmmm... Shared networking is now working on my computer. I don't believe that I have installed any software or done anything except for try bridged networking (which also worked). Here is the requested screen shot, although network preferences on my machine seems to come up in status mode automatically.

Attached Files:

16. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

please try to uninstall the network adapter in Device Manager in Windows and run "Scan for Hardware Changes". Will it help?

Best regards,
    Stacey

17. stein.joel@gmail.com

stein.joel@gmail.com Bit poster

Well, I ended up doing a number of things, and somehow it fixed the problem. I removed my network adapter, and then scanned for new hardware, and it found a Realtek adapter. That didn't really solve anything. But after I restarted Windows, it installed the latest version of Parallel Tools. After another restart, it looks like it put the Parallels Network Adapter (#2) in my Device Manager, and removed the Realtek one. So I switched my network adapter in the Parallels toolbar (Devices -> Network Adapter) to Default Adapter, and sure enough, I now have internet again. I'm not really sure what fixed it, but it's working. Thanks!

18. BettR

BettR Bit poster

Thanks, Stacy! This worked for me too. However, I did have to have Windows repair its connection by polling for a new IP address. Once that was done, we were back up and running.

Thanks for the help,

Bette