"fuse" Error on Windows Volume Mount on Mac

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by cchdirit, Jan 9, 2008.

1. cchdirit

cchdirit Bit poster

Hello Everyone.

I have a MBP 2.4Ghz w/4GB RAM, running Tiger (now, was running Leopard, and going back) at version 10.4.11, and fully up-to-date on Software Update. 100% Fresh Install of 3.0.5582 of Parallels. (Hopefully that will answer everyone's question on existing configuration.)

I previously had Tiger running with 2.5, upgrade to 3.0.5160, then upgraded to Leopard and upgraded to 3.0.5582. I have NEVER been able to get the shared applications feature, and more specifically, the Windows Volume mount on the Mac Desktop, to work. Never.

Whenever I try to open a file anywhere on the C: Drive with TextEdit (mac), I get:

"Parallels Desktop cannot open file <filename> from the guest OS. You can open only files located on Windows drives (volume) which have drive letters assigned or in Parallels Shared Folders."

Now, I thought it was Leopard, or because it was an upgrade, or something. So, I backed up my whole volume with SuperDuper to an external drive, and FRESH installed Tiger on the MBP (as if it was day one with the laptop). Then I created my normal Local Administrator account, and then I added the machine to Active Directory, and setup my personal AD Mobile Account on the laptop.

Finally, I installed fresh, the 5582 build of Parallels 3.0. I copied back my VM from my backup, into my AD Mobile Account profile, and ran it. Same problem.

So, with the fresh new laptop configuration, I logged out, and logged in as my local administrator account. I copied the VM over, and ran it. Believe it or not, IT WORKED!! My C: Drive volume mounted on the desktop, and I was able to use OS X applications to open files within the VM. Everything worked perfectly.

So, now I went back, and logged in to my AD Mobile Account. Tried again, and it failed. In the 'console.log' I found the following entry:

fuse: invalid argument `'

Thus, I have tried a fresh install of the OS, and of the Parallels Application, and at least have narrowed the problem to 'potentially' being related to the account type (??).

Could someone, anyone, at SWSoft or Parallels please help me, as I would like to take advantage of this feature, and would like to get it working on all of the MBP laptops within our organization (over 25+).

Thank you.

cchdirit

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Have you tried upgrading to the latest version of FUSE?

3. cchdirit

cchdirit Bit poster

Taking your advice, I just downloaded and installed MacFUSE-Core-10.4-1.3.0, and upon completion I rebooted the MBP.

Upon the reboot, I logged in as the AD Mobile Account, and fired upon Parallels and the VM. Sure enough, the following error showed up again in the 'console.log':

fuse: invalid argument `'

So, as it seems, upgrading MacFUSE did not work. Could someone from SWSoft and/or Parallels please assist, asap?

Thank you.

cchdirit

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Meh. Sorry, figured it couldn't hurt to try, though, it's helped a handful of other FUSE problems similar.

5. cchdirit

cchdirit Bit poster

Understood, and thank you anyways. Based on the attributes that I have narrowed down above, I am certain this is a particular issue regarding user type.

Please remember, and I just verified this again:

- Local Admin User --> Successful mount of Windows Volume on Desktop (via fuse)

- Active Directory Mobile Account --> Unsuccessful mount of Windows Volume on Desktop (via fuse) resulting in previously published error.

Please help.

Thank you.

cchdirit

6. cchdirit

cchdirit Bit poster

Additional Info...

As per Eru, in order to provide as much information as possible, I exercised a couple of more experiments:

1 - Any local user in OS X, admin or otherwise, works fine, and the Windows Volume mounts correctly on the Mac Desktop

2 - Any network user, either temporary (not mobile enabled) or mobile enabled, fails with the fuse: invalid argument `' error within the 'console.log', consistently, and no Windows Volumes are mounted.

As far as our network is concerned, we have Active Directory on Windows Server 2003 for authentication, and Directory Service v1.5.7 (Tiger) is setup correctly and the user authenticates successfully.

For a summary of the remainder of the configuration, please see the posts above.

Thank you, and please help.

cchdirit

7. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Oh, now things get interesting, I missed this part at first, I am sorry, speed-reading the forums is a bad habit of mine; so, a Local Admin works, but an AD account does not.

I am pretty sure this feature is working on our user's computers, but none of them ever use it in their daily workflow as it is predominantly Windows based (Minus Webbrowser, iTunes, Safari, iChat, iPhoto, etc.) and thus I probably wouldn't here if it didn't. I'll get back to you after I double-check one of their computers.

What I do know, though, is that the shared applications do work. So I suspect the former works.

By saying that Directory Service is set-up correctly, what exactly do you mean?

How did you assure this? I am not intending to be critical, but rather Objective.

I take it that you do not have a golden triangle set-up, right?

Now, let's try and figure-out WHAT is different about your AD account versus your local account?
    Have you tried granting your AD account local admin privileges?

Let me know if any of that sheds a light.

8. cchdirit

cchdirit Bit poster

Eru, first of all, thank you for sticking with me on this. Much appreciated.

Here is more information, as you suggested/requested:

- Directory Access / Active Directory v1.5.7 has been successfully bound to AD, reflected by the successful creation of the computer account in AD, and the recognition of the forest setting within the dialog. Here is more information:

User Experience Options:

- Create mobile account... checked
    - Require confirmation before creating... checked
    - Use UNC path from Active Directory to derive... checked
    - Network protocol to be used:... smb
    - Default user shell:... /bin/bash

Mappings Options:
    No mappings of attributes are used.

Administrative Options:

- Allow authentication from any domain... checked

As far as Open Directory/AD setup in a 'Golden Triangle', no we do not have this setup. This is simply Tiger/Leopard based MBPs in an AD managed network, only.

In regards to the AD Account (mobile account), it was setup with 'local admin' privileges originally, when problem occurred. Additionally, plain AD Account (mobile account) was setup without admin privileges - same problem. Finally, an AD Account (temp login) was done, and when Parallels was run, same problem.

If I were to 'guess', some environment variable that MacFUSE uses, either for impersonation or access privileges is using a character that is being interpreted as a delimiter, thus resulting in an "invalid argument". That, of course, is a guess, as I have not reviewed the open source code.

Also, this problem, as you surmised, was evidenced in the embedded version of MacFUSE in Parallels, as well as the latest 1.3.0 version that I downloaded and installed earlier.

For your users, you may want to check this - if you have Profile Sharing on, then they will find that the "shared desktop" items will work fine between OSes, but any specific file on a specific drive (i.e. C:\) will result in the "Parallels cannot open file..." error.

If the Windows Volume cannot be mounted, then OS X cannot reference any files on it, because fuse did not load it.

Anyway, thanks again. Also, hopefully Parallels and SWSoft are paying attention.

cchdirit

9. cchdirit

cchdirit Bit poster

This is a plea, to the Parallels Support Team and/or SWSoft Support Team. Please, please help us with this issue.

See above for more details.

Thank you.

cchdirit

10. Egurt

Egurt Parallels Team

Gentlemen,
    let me apologize for the delay. The problem is very interesting. Unfortunately, we have not tested AD mobile account yet, but we have several ideas. It can be our problem if we cannot indicate the right path to the VM folder or FUSE may not to work with this configuration. To solve the issue please login as Local user, find your VM Folder, which contains .pvs and .hdd files, and provide me with a screenshot of Get Info <VM Folder> window.
    Thank you in advance.

11. cchdirit

cchdirit Bit poster

Egurt, attached is the screenshot you requested.

Additionally, I just want to clarify that "any" Active Directory user account, whether setup as a mobile account or not, gives the same problem and same 'fuse' error.

I look forward to your findings.

cchdirit

Attached Files:

12. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

cchdirit, what happens if you chmod the folder to 666 or 777? That's a thought.

I looped back on my earlier assigned homework, all works fine in an OD environment.

I'm inclined to think that if the top part does not work, I would agree with you that it is a limitation of MacFUSE's detection of the env. vars. Perhaps if this is the case Parallels can patch MacFUSE for this, then release the fix to the world. But, strangely enough, I could not find any discussion of MacFUSE errors with AD on google.

13. Egurt

Egurt Parallels Team

Thank you for the information. Please try to execute the following test case:
    1) login as Mobile user
    2) download SpotlightFS from http://macfuse.googlecode.com/files/SpotlightFS-0.1.1.dmg
    3) open DMG package
    4) open Finder-->mounted Spotlight-->and try to create any new folder under this mounted disk

14. cchdirit

cchdirit Bit poster

I downloaded the application as you suggested, and mounted the Spotlight volume.

I was able to go into the volume and create a new folder named 'Test'. No Errors.

Attached are screenshots of the results.

cchdirit

Attached Files:

15. Egurt

Egurt Parallels Team

Hello.
    Our developers have worked out test program for your problem.
    We need the result of this program - text from console. Please follow steps below:

# Unzip attached vfstool.zip file by double-click on it
    # Open /Applications/Parallels folder
    # Right-click on Parallels Desktop Application icon, then select Show Package Contents menu item
    # Open Contents then Resources folder
    # Delete vfstool from Resources folder
    # Copy unzipped vfstool to the Resources folder
    # Open /Utilities/Console application
    # Clear the log by clicking on Clear button
    # Run Parallels Desktop and open tested VM
    # Wait for Console log. The console log will be similar to the log below.
    # Select the text in the log and send it to us.

Attached Files:

16. zmousm

zmousm Bit poster

Any progress to this issue?

I tried the vfstool attached to the last post, the log is attached here.

The setup is identical, except that I am running 10.5.1. However the reported findings completely match what I have seen.

Attached Files:

17. Egurt

Egurt Parallels Team

Guys,
    Thank you very much. We have found the bug!
    Please help us once again. Download the new tool, it should work.
    Thank you in advance and looking forward to your reply.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2008
  18. zmousm

zmousm Bit poster

It works indeed :)
    I see for the first time the mounted volume icon on the desktop (Format: Generic MacFUSE File System).

vfstool@fuse0 on /private/tmp/819/C (fusefs, local, nodev, noexec, nosuid, synchronous, mounted by zmousm)

Log:

04/02/2008 6:57:10 ΜΜ [0x0-0x51051].com.parallels.desktop kextload: /Library/Filesystems/fusefs.fs/Support/fusefs.kext loaded successfully
    04/02/2008 6:57:11 ΜΜ kernel MacFUSE: starting (version 1.1.1, Nov 6 2007, 16:55:47)
    04/02/2008 6:57:11 ΜΜ fseventsd[27] failed to make the directory /private/tmp/819/C/.fseventsd (1/Operation not permitted)

Thanks!

19. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Beautiful, it is nice to know that this is fixed! Will this fix be included in the next build?

20. AaronWeis

AaronWeis Junior Member

This has been an issue for me since installing on my work MBP. I have gone through this within the forums for several months without a fix, and this fixed the issue for me as well. I also am running at work under and AD account and could not see the drive on the desktop, and recieved the same "fuse:invalide arguement" log entries.

This fixed it! After applying the new vfstool above, I can now see the drive on the desktop for the first time!

Thank you!