RC macbook pro internet

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by backtothemac, May 19, 2006.

1. backtothemac

backtothemac Member

Hello all, thank you again for the great build speed. I cannot however get internet with the RC in my VM. I have tried everything that I can think of including removing the adapter and then adding it back. I have tried host only, default, and airport, and nothing will work.

Don't know if it is a bug, or something in my configuration.

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

3. TimboFoo

TimboFoo Bit poster

Networking broken for me in RC1 as well

I don't see anything in that topic that would explain why my networking would stop working in RC1. Worked fine (bridged mode) yesterday, but today I am unable to get a DHCP address in XP. Nothing has changed in my config, except for upgrading Parallels.

Am I missing something subtle in the FAQ?

4. TimboFoo

TimboFoo Bit poster

A little more info: it looks like upgrading to the new version of Parallels Tools is what broke my networking.

I remembered that I had upgraded them when I upgraded to RC1: so I went back to a backup copy of my VM and tried it -- networking worked fine. THEN I chose the "Install Parallel tools" option and upgraded to the new version: when XP rebooted, networking didn't work.

When I upgrade parallel tools in my XP guest OS, I get the ominous warning message
    -- I've tried chosing "yes" and "no" (reverting to my backed up VM each time) and it doesn't work either way.

I tried the last obvious thing -- completely uninstalling the tools (still no networking on reboot) and re-installing them (still gives warning message, I chose "Yes") -- but still no luck.

At this point, I've reverted back to my old VM, and will just skip "upgrading" my parallels tools for now... :(

5. TimboFoo

TimboFoo Bit poster

I should add, I'm usnig Bridged mode to wired-network, so the known-issue with DHCP and wireless shouldn't be an issue here.

6. pwith

pwith Member

I think I have followed Andrew's instructions as well.

My problem seems to be that when the VM desktop is running the MacOSX host does not see the internet. The minute I pause the VM desktop MacOSX is finding the internet just fine.

Any help appreciated.

Peter

7. Andrew @ Parallels

8. backtothemac

backtothemac Member

Andrew, I have tried setting an internal IP, I have tried doing the shared internet, and nothing works, and I mean nothing. I may have something more going on, I don't know, but it is weird. Also, this started in Beta 6 right before the upgrade.

9. TimboFoo

TimboFoo Bit poster

Doesn't help me, I'm not using an Airport -- I'm on a wired connection.

As I said: it works fine as long as I don't upgrade my Parallel Tools....

10. ranjeetsodhi

ranjeetsodhi Bit poster

Giving the network adapter a fixed IP within WindowsXP (inside the VM) works...

Looks like there is a bug in Parallels RC wherein the network fails when trying to get an IP using the DHCP.

11. backtothemac

backtothemac Member

Well, it doesn't work for me. I have tried everything. Uninstall, reinstall, etc. I can't get anything to work. Static IP dynamic IP, nothing works. Any advice?

12. Patrick Lee

Patrick Lee Bit poster

Have you tried deleting the network connection in the Windows VM Network Connections Control Panel and creating a new one. That worked for me.

13. backtothemac

backtothemac Member

That worked under beta 5 for me and under 6, but not at the ned of 6 or the RC. I don't know what to do. I reformated the Mac, and did everything again with the same result.

14. Patrick Lee

Patrick Lee Bit poster

What shows up if you run ipconfig in the VM?

15. backtothemac

backtothemac Member

Self Assigned IP 169.....

16. backtothemac

backtothemac Member

Andrew, I don't know if you have seen my posts. I am an MCP and an MCSE so I am my own administrator. :)

I have tried everything I can think of. Static IP, Dynamic, uninstall, reinstall, reinstall OS X *just incase there was stuff from old beta that was causing problems*, everything.

I can't get anything to work. I don't know if this is a bigger problem or if I am the exception, but any help would be great.

17. Andrew @ Parallels

backtothemac,

We have fixed number of networking issues after RC. Please wait for RC2 - most likely it will fix your problem as well.

18. backtothemac

backtothemac Member

No problem. Thanks for the response Andrew.

19. backtothemac

backtothemac Member

Andrew, just wanted to let you know that I finally got it to share the connection between OS X and the VM.

Thanks for everything you guys are doing to make this the best VM product on the planet!