Windows flickers in 'Single Window' mode

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DFoxgrov, Dec 19, 2007.

1. wickhamandrew

wickhamandrew Bit poster

Please look at the version... 3.0.5584, not 48.

2. rich.rose@mjmcreative.com

rich.rose@mjmcreative.com Bit poster

Wick - thanks. My mistake. I am indeed running 3.0.5584. Still no help. Thanks for pointing out my typo.

3. wickhamandrew

wickhamandrew Bit poster

Bad news! It's back!!!

This is really getting frustrating now. We have this running on around 100 computers, and ONE seems to have this issue. Parallels, please support your product and help us out!

4. rich.rose@mjmcreative.com

rich.rose@mjmcreative.com Bit poster

Sorry to hear that. FWIW, I've tried disabling hardware acceleration in windows displays, I've checked the refresh rates (parallels driver is locked to 60hz), i've tried a full removal and reinstall of parallels tools, i've disabled custom resolutions on the VM, turned off VT and VM acceleration, no help.

5. DFoxgrov

DFoxgrov Bit poster

Hi all, I can also concur that Novell ZenWorks is not the problem. I uninstalled it completely a few days ago, and it didn't help.

Thanks!

6. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all!

Thank you for your reports. We keep on investigating the issue.
    Please try disabling your Antivirus programs.
    This is just another try to localize the problem, not the final solution, of course.

Best regards,
    Xenos

7. Macaby

Macaby Member

How much more VM video memory?

My system is running perfectly or at least it appears that way to me. I'm running a MacBook with 4 GB, Parallels 3.0 and Vista Home Premium. My wife likes to play Freecell and it just doesn't have enough horsepower.

When I load Parallels, the default memory recommended 512MB with a max available shown as 2048 MB. The video memory recommended 16 MB with a max available shown as 64 MB (as I remember it.) I upped my RAM and Video to 1024 MB and 32 MB on the video in an attempt to get Freecell running in a workable state. However, it didn't help much.

I have since installed the old XP Freecell and it works fine so my wife is now happy.

Re your recommended increase of video memory above, what numbers would you recommend for my configuration? My main use of Parallels is MS Office which runs great at the moment.

8. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Macaby,

In your case it is not Video Memory issue. You could not run Freecell for Vista Home Premium because of a limitation of the current 3D graphics support implementation. You can try enabling DirectX Shaders (experimental) on Video tab in Configuration Editor but it is not guaranteed to be helpful. Parallels developers are working to improve 3D graphics support.

Best regards,
    Xenos

9. Macaby

Macaby Member

Thanks for the answer to the Vista Freecell problem. It's really not a big deal for me (kinda like swatting a single nat.) I've very impressed with the Parallels desktop and it does 99.9% of what I want in regard to Windows operations.

10. Macaby

Macaby Member

Coherence...

I'm "tagging" onto this thread because I can't figure out how to start a new thread in this forum.

I've been reading here and there on this forum about "coherence" and wondered what it was. Yesterday I was playing around and found the button that activates coherence and boom, it popped up on my Mac screen just like it is designed to do. Nice, but I have very limited use for this option.

So, from the manual I figured out how to get back to the VM Vista Window. But now, my computer seems to go into the coherence mode anytime I minimize Windows.

When I first clicked on the coherence button in Windows, did I make this mode more active and if so, how do I turn it off?

11. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Macaby,

Please look at Configuration Editor -> Options -> Booting. You have Default Startup Mode - your VM is booting up in the mode last used. Choose Single Window or Full Screen mode.

To start a new thread in the forum just open an appropriate forum section and click red round button with + at the top of the list.

Best regards,
    Xenos

12. Macaby

Macaby Member

I don't understand what you mean by "default startup mode." However, it does appear after a reboot that the mode that boots up is the last mode selected. Is that right?

13. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

That's right. You can change this setting in Configuration Editor -> Options -> Booting.

Best regards,
    Xenos

14. Ron Merom

Ron Merom Bit poster

Any solution

Hi there,

I've been experiencing this flickering in the last few weeks as well.

Has any solution been found to this?
    If not, would you recommend reverting to an older version of Parallels?
    Is that possible?

15. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Ron Merom,

Please try this workaround:

1. Right-click on the Windows Desktop. You will see the drop-down menu. Choose "Properties".

2. In the opened window, open the "Settings" tab and click on the "Advanced" button. You will see another window, click "Troubleshoot".

3. In "Hardware Acceleration" section put the slider on the third graduation line from the left.

Best regards,
    Xenos

16. Ron Merom

Ron Merom Bit poster

Thanks Xenos for the quick response.

However, it did not help...

Any other options?

17. Ron Merom

Ron Merom Bit poster

One more symptom that may help to investigate the problem: not only the video flickers, the audio also "flickers" - i.e., there's a lot of micro-breaks in the sound...

18. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Ron Merom, please give more details:

- what PD build are you using
    - what's your Host and Guest OS
    - your Mac model
    - what application are you using to run video and audio files?

Best regards,
    Xenos

19. Ron Merom

Ron Merom Bit poster

I'm using
    - Build 5584
    - Max OS X Version 10.4.11
    - It's a MacBook Pro (2.33 GHz Core 2Duo with 2GB)
    - The flickering of the video/audio starts as soon as I start windows

Please help.

20. Ron Merom

Ron Merom Bit poster

Actually, one quick fix that helped is when I downgraded back to release 5160.
    You might want to check if something on releast 5584 causes this.