Parallels menu bar is empty

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by frankie, Oct 4, 2007.

1. frankie

frankie Junior Member

Parallels seems to be loading up without showing its Mac menus (File, View, etc). If I toggle from Coherence to Windowed, the menus reappear (even after I return to Coherence). Any suggestions?

2. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

are you sure, that it's not a fullscreen mode? Mac menus are visible while in coherence and windowed modes and are not in fullscreen.

Best Regards,
    Alicia.

3. frankie

frankie Junior Member

Sorry I wasn't clearer. I run with dual displays. The Mac menu bar is on my MBP, Windows taskbar is on the outboard monitor. When I activated Parallels yesterday, the only menu items were Apple menu and the Parallels Desktop menu. Nothing else on the bar except the right-side icons.

After looking up the shift-alt-ctrl hotkey, toggling mode caused the menu items to reappear. Just wondering why they were missing in the first place.

4. Leonard

Leonard Member

I have had this happen to me as well. I switched modes from the Dock icon to get it resolved.

Has happened both when in dual monitor and when just the laptop. I run my Windows VM in Coherence 99.9% of the time in either setup.

5. gooberdlx

gooberdlx Junior Member

I've also had the same problem... I have a VM that is set to start in Coherence mode automatically and the Mac Menu items are always gone...

6. gooberdlx

gooberdlx Junior Member

Btw, I'm running 5582...

7. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

gooberdlx, do you also use dual displays?

Best regards,
    Alicia.

8. cconnor

cconnor Bit poster

I've got the same problem and I'm not running Dual Screens.

Want more info ?

9. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

cconnor, yes, more info would be great :)

Best regards,
    Alicia.

10. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Hi,

Unfortunately it is a known problem. It is accidental bug and we are trying to fix it. I'm sorry for giving you troubles.

Alexander

11. gooberdlx

gooberdlx Junior Member

I am not running multiple displays... thanks for the update Alex...

12. cconnor

cconnor Bit poster

Just to let you know it's still happening in build 5584. Happened today when I loaded an app from my OS X dock that brings the VM out of Suspend mode. Everything loaded but the menu up top was gone. A quick Alt-Enter and again and it was back.

13. gooberdlx

gooberdlx Junior Member

Do we have any expected time for the release of this fix?

14. virusdoc

virusdoc Bit poster

this is happening to me as well

I am running the current build (5582) in Leopard and only use one display--my menu bar is empty and as far as parallels is concerned it is in full screen mode, not coherence.

15. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

virusdoc, Mac menus are visible while in coherence and windowed modes and are not in fullscreen. Could you please make a screenshot of your menu bar when the issue occurs?

Best Regards,
    Alicia.

16. virusdoc

virusdoc Bit poster

Sure, that machine is at home so I'll post it later today. I normally run in Full screen mode, but the last several times I've opened XP, the desktop appears at boot and then seems to slide off to the right of the screen and disappear--almost as if it is trying to slide over to a second display, but I confirmed that only one display is enabled on my iMac. After the XP desktop slides over, I can still see the XP taskbar and startmenu. When this happens, at the top of the screen is a single menu "Parallels Desktop". None of the other menus (view, tools, etc.) are present. If I right-click on the Parallels dock icon, I find that parallels has switched itself into coherence mode for some strange reason. Switching to single window mode brings the XP desktop back, along with all of the parallels menus at the top of the screen. Then I can switch back to Full Screen mode and everything is normal, including the reappearance of all the Parallels menus when I hit ctrl-alt (or whatever the combination is--the lower left two keys on the keyboard).

I'll take screen shots tonight.

17. virusdoc

virusdoc Bit poster

I could not reproduce the missing menus tonight. My XP system booted into full screen mode as it was supposed to, and when I hit ctrl-alt all of the Parallels menus appeared at the top left of the screen. If I am able to reproduce it in the future I will grab a screen shot.

This initially occurred after I upgraded my Mac's RAM from 2 GB to 4GB, and changed the memory allocation given to XP from 512 MB to 1024 MB. The first time I tried to boot XP as a virtual machine after this upgrade is when the menus disappeared. They continued to disappear for several boot cycles and now seem to have corrected themselves.

As I said above, when they were gone, toggling from coherence (a view mode I never use--it was forced into that mode on startup) to single window to full screen view (using the right-click dock icon menu) the menus would reappear.

18. rptb1

rptb1 Member

I'm running in Coherence mode with a single display on my iMac, and none of the menus except "Parallels Desktop" is visible. Furthermore, the "Preferences..." item on that menu is grayed out. Switching to Full Screen (Opt+Enter), then to Windowed mode, then back to Coherence mode fixed it. I've attached a screenshot.

Attached Files:

19. rptb1

rptb1 Member

Oh, and I'm on Mac OS X 10.5.3, Parallels Desktop 3.0 build 5600, on an iMac 2GHz Intel Core Duo, running Windows XP SP2 from Boot Camp.

20. virusdoc

virusdoc Bit poster

that's it!

That is exactly the behavior I observed, and have never since been able to repeat.