RC and networking

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by MarkHolbrook, May 19, 2006.

1. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

I'm not sure why everyone is having trouble with RC and networking. I have both a Mac Mini and a MBP and so far RC is working JUST LIKE BETA6 as far as networking goes.

I'm typing this in OS X while my VM is running and it is viewing a web page in explorer.

I haven't given RC a full workout but so far it seems as good as Beta6.

Maybe this is a settings issue? My settings are: Bridged Ethernet default adapter in both cases and it works awesome. My VM got a new dynamic IP from my firewall just fine.

So not sure why some are having trouble.

M

2. Scott Willsey

Scott Willsey Hunter

I thought that too, but last time I booted my xp vm, it stole the IP that the mac was using. The mac wound up getting another, so after a few seconds I wound up with both OS X and the xp vm back online again, but it's mighty inconvenient.

3. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

Well I have just tested both on my static IP MacMini which is static at 192.168.168.10 and my VM gets IP: 192.168.168.207 from the firewall DHCP. Both work.

So I fired up my MBP which is on airport. It is DHCP all the time since I use it at work. The MBP has IP address 192.168.168.202. I fired up my VM and it got DHCP address 192.168.168.207 (I had shutdown the VM on the mac Mini already).

So from what I can see this is correct behavior.

Mark

4. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

RC has problems with some DHCP servers and Airport. In that case DHCP doesn't diffirentiate VM from Mac OS X and assign to both the same IP. This already fixed and will be in RC2.

For now you can use manual IP asssigment.

PS: This is rare situation. RC works fine with most of DHCP servers.

5. gadgeTT

gadgeTT Bit poster

Count me in for the same issue... now fixed with static ip

I was having the same issue whereby bridged Airport was working fine in beta6 but stopped working in RC1. I followed the instructions here and set up tcp/ip in my XP VM as static versus DHCP and now it's working fine... at least until there's an IP address conflict. :) Hopefully RC2 will work as advertised and not present this problem again.

BTW, I'm using a Netgear RangeMax WiFi router, if that helps figure out what DHCP servers are causing this problem...

6. SFrawley

SFrawley Member

How about an example of what to change? Manual on the Mac or PC or router and which connector? What number, same or different? A little more specific please.:)

7. Scott Willsey

Scott Willsey Hunter

Well, my router which is doing the DHCP is a Linksys WRT54G - they don't come much more common than that.

8. Scott Willsey

Scott Willsey Hunter

Key words there being "from what I can see", right? :D When testing your own specific use case, it never pays to assume that someone else with different computer hardware and a different router, etc, are necessarily going to have the exact same experience. That's the reason for testing and betas and bug reports.

I've never had any of the problems many of the MBP owners describe either, but I'm using a mini and not a MBP and it would be silly of me to assume they are imagining things.

9. SFrawley

SFrawley Member

My router (which doesn't work for wireless) is a Netgear WGR614 v6 :confused:

10. dylansm

dylansm Member

Linksys here, too (SRX). Doesn't work. Can't wait for RC2...

11. steve

steve Member

I'm running a SMC router here. Same problem.

From what I am seeing here, I think this may be more common that first thought.

12. steve

steve Member

SFrawley,

I found this on the thread Andrew referred to:

DHCP Problems

DHCP and Bridging to Ethernet Adapter
    A DHCP server may be configured to assign IP addresses only to clients which hardware addresses are listed on the server. Talk to your Network Administrator to make appropriate changes to the server configuration to resolve this issue.
    Also note that each time a new VM is created it’s assigned a new hardware address. You can change hardware address manually on the Advanced tab of VM Network Adapter Configuration should you need to do so.
    DHCP and Bridging to AirPort
    Some DHCP servers (including those embedded into Wireless routers) may refuse to assign an IP address to a VM bridged to AirPort or worse return the same address assigned to the Mac. One reason may be merely a server configuration issue, in which case you should visit your Network Administrator. The other possible reason is that the server distinguishes clients by their hardware address instead of the client identifier as required by DHCP standard.
    To work around this problem assign IP address to the VM statically or use Host-Only Networking with Internet Sharing.

This suggest that the VM is set statically. I did so and got networking functioning properly. Problem is, when I go to work tomorrow, I'll need to change back. Minor inconvenience as long as we know they are dealing wtih the problem and the solution is imminent.

13. SFrawley

SFrawley Member

My netgear won't work even with no security of any type. Any wireless access point can get it in a second. Its NOT the routers. I've tried three.:p

14. Rhyno1

Rhyno1 Bit poster

How do I assign a manual IP address?

Yup---same problem here. Cox Cable internet and a Motorola wireless surfboard if that helps any. For those of us (well, me at least...) not so savvy, how do I assign a manual IP address to work around this problem? Looking forward to RC2---so far an excellent product Parallels!! Thanks for any help.

15. tag

tag Bit poster

Me too

I am using a netscreen firewall applicance to perform DHCP assignments, with the macbook pro connecting over an airport extreme base station in bridging mode. The macbook pro is assigned a static DHCP reservation.

Regardless of the layer 2 address setting, both Fedora Core 5 and Solaris 10 recieve the same IP address as the macbook.