Auto selection of USB printers

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jesschoen, Jan 24, 2008.

1. jesschoen

jesschoen Member

I'm using Parallels 5582, Windows XP and Leopard 10.5.1. I have two USB printers connected to the system. When I am in Windows, I find that I have to manually select the printers in USB devices before using them. Is there a way to have the printers make the device connection automatically without having to go through this manual step? I seem to recall that this happened automatically in the past with earlier versions of Parallels but perhaps I am mistaken.

Thanks for any help.

James

2. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

please open 'Configuration Editor' of your VM ('Edit' -> 'Virtual Machine') -> 'USB Controller tab' and select 'Connect to Guest OS'.
    Will it help?

Best regards,
    Stacey

3. jesschoen

jesschoen Member

Stacy--

That doesn't seem to work. When I choose "Connect to the Guest OS," I still have to select the printer under devices to get it to print in Windows. Additionally, it will not on the Mac side with this setting since when I try to turn off the checkmark under devices, the system puts it back in automatically. It was better the old way.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

James

4. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

please try to do the following:
    1) In the Configuration Editor - USB adapter options please change the connection type to "ask you what to do" when connecting USB devices.
    2) Turn off the printer.
    3) Start Windows. Wait for it to boot completely.
    4) Turn on the printer. Parallels will ask you where to connect the printer. Choose the "Windows" option.

Best regards,
    Stacey

5. jesschoen

jesschoen Member

Stacy--

Your latest solution didn't work--I was not able to print from the Mac side with it. Thus, I am still left with my original problem of being able to print OK from the Mac side (configuration editor selection of Mac) but from the Windows side only after I have manually selected the appropriate printer under USB devices. Thanks for your comments.

Do you have any other ideas?

James

6. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

James,
    unfortunately it is design limitations of current version of Parallels.
    The USB device can be used only by Mac or by Parallels, but not at the same time. That is why it is needed to click on the device to unplug it from Mac and plug it to Parallels.
    Sorry for inconvenience.

Best regards,
    Stacey