Still getting kernel panics Leopard/5582

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mpemburn, Jan 27, 2008.

1. mpemburn

mpemburn Member

Hi,

Feeling a little bit disgusted this morning. Last week, I held my breath and did a complete erase and re-install of Leopard and have pretty much reloaded all of my (many) apps and configurations at this point. I also upgraded from 2 GB to 3 GB on my MacBook, hoping to give Parallels more "breathing room". Since then, however, I've had two kernel panics -- something I'd hoped I'd put behind me with a fresh install (figuring that I'd botched it initially by doing an in-place upgrade rather than an archive and install).

I've read on another thread that there's a known problem with build 5582 and kernel panics. Is this addressed with build 5584? Another thread suggests that 5584 has become a CPU hog. I don't want to trade one problem for another. It's getting so that I'm dreading having to use Parallels/Windows anymore. I'll be glad when the need for it goes away, let me tell you.

Regards,

Mark

MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 MHz (pre-Santa Rosa)
    3 GB RAM
    160 GB HD
    Leopard 10.5.1
    Parallels 3.0 build 5582

2. Rich White

Rich White Member

I had kernel panics/system restarts using parallels version 2.5 and later 3.0 due to bad video ram in my MacBook Pro (which is very hard to test by the way - hardware test CD always passed!). I finally convinced the guy by showing him that a demo version of "Call of Duty 2" would also cause the computer to crash - new motherboard and the problem was finally solved.

I've also seen kernel panics due to bad RAM. Be sure to test your RAM - especially new RAM right after being installed - send it back if it doesn't pass all the tests using this program: http://www.kelleycomputing.net/rember/

The only other thing that has caused me kernel panic grief in the past are the Keyspan USB-Serial Mac OS X drivers. They seem much better lately, however, version 2.4 has not been a problem.

3. mpemburn

mpemburn Member

Rich,

Thanks for the tip. I downloaded and ran Rember and it gave my RAM a clean bill of health. Of course, it only tests the available memory and about all I could free up without getting drastic was a tad less than 2 GB.

Since I posted, I have run Parallels without a problem so it's one of those danged intermittent problems that are so hard to diagnose. One element I suspect is my use of "Suspend" in Parallels and "Deep Sleep" when I shut down the MacBook for the night. I might try just using normal sleep mode for a while if I get another kernel panic -- though it really should work. Should -- what a concept!

Mark

4. mpemburn

mpemburn Member

Hi again,

Still hoping to get some kind of answer on this. Is the problem mine alone?

Mark

5. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

I think that 10.5.2 update will solve a lot off problems :)

6. mpemburn

mpemburn Member

Hmm. Maybe. Looks like Apple is getting closer to releasing it.

BTW: I've been using Ubuntu (Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 server) in a 3.0 build 5582 VM for the past few days with no problems at all. I can start and stop the VM, suspend it, attach the CDROM or an ISO disk image, use networking, etc. I've also put the MacBook into Deep Sleep and awoken while the VM was running. It's either good luck or just another example of how badly Windows behaves even when virtualized. Who knows?

Mark