1. hydseek

hydseek Member

Hi Guys, I am using build 5160 with Leopard. When I am in Excel, I need to use ALT+F11 but this key combination is not producing any result, as if it is not a command at all. Is there something I need to do to make my MacBook Pro keyboard function like a Windows Keyboard? Am I missing something here or is this a bug?

2. Aurum

Aurum Parallels Team

hydseek,

Please try pressing Alt+Fn+F11 or holding down Alt and then selecting Actions-Send keys-F11.

Best regards,
    Aurum

3. hydseek

hydseek Member

Does not work

Hi, thanks for the helpful suggestion which unfortunately do not work. I tried your suggestion of pressing alt+fn+alt11 but this does not work. After posting my original topic, I checked if this feature works with Tiger and it does work in Tiger. It is not working in Leopard. The other suggestion of using Send Keys with Alt F11 is working but is a very roundabout way to use. My query is that I was able to access Alt+F11 in Tiger and it is not working in Leopard and so, is this a bug that needs to be fixed or am I forgetting to setting an option or feature to make the Alt+F11 work?

4. hydseek

hydseek Member

Other Alt Keys are Working

Hi, to follow-up on my earlier post, I am able to make use of Alt+F8 in Excel and this works fine. For some reason though, Alt+F11 is disabled and I am beginning to wonder if there is some option or feature that I need to set.

5. Aurum

Aurum Parallels Team

hydseek,

Please go to System Preferences->Mouse and Keyboard->Keyboard tab and make sure option "Use F1-F12 keys to control software features" is checked.

Best regards,
    Aurum

6. hydseek

hydseek Member

Aurum

That option is set properly as you described and so can be ruled out as the cause. As I mentioned earlier, Alt+F8 in Excel is working as expected but not Alt+F11.

7. Aurum

Aurum Parallels Team

hydseek

Looks like it is really a bug that occurs with Leopard OS. I have reported it to our QA team for investigation.
    We shall try to fix it in future builds.

Please accept our apologies.

Best regards,
    Aurum

8. tamas_net

tamas_net Bit poster

F11 + F12 Don't Work For Me Either

I use terminal emulation software that requires me to use F11 and F12 (no modifiers) and neither works. F1 - F10 work properly (i.e. required System Preferences are set correctly). Used to work nicely under Tiger.

Thanks for your consideration!

t.

9. GlennG

GlennG Member

It's still there and is a bug in Parallels - doesn't happen with Fusion

Hi,

It's still happening. Build 5584 with Leopard.

Visual studio running on XP VM. External keyboard on MacBook Pro. F10 is fine, F11 isn't. The keys aren't mapped in Leopard for desktop & dashboard.

I've tested this with VMWare Fusion and it works fine. Fusion was running concurrently with Parallels, therefore the only difference is Parallels not working.

From what I see of this thread it's been outstanding for months. Where's the fix? Please don't tell us that it's going to be another month like the copy/paste problem.

Cheers,
    Glenn

10. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

Thank you for your reports on Alt+F11, F12 issue. Parallels developers are aware of the problem and the fix is on our roadmap. I am sorry I can not promise you that it is coming soon.
    BTW, the build 5584 fixing the copy-paste issue has been released in January.
    Anyway, product release schedules are not usually made public. Thank you for understanding.

Best regards,
    Xenos

11. GlennG

GlennG Member

So it is going to be a longer wait: It's already been over 2 months since Hydseek reported it on build 5560. We're now on build 5584 and it's still broken.

Sorry to be a hassle, but this is a royal PITA when you're using Windows applications that need F11 and F12. With Visual Studio--which a lot of people will be using Parallels for--F11 is used all the time.

The real issue is that it doesn't happen with VMWare Fusion. I hate to say this, but these are the sort of things that drive people to other products. All I need is to be bothered to migrate the VM over...

Please impress on the development manager that it's high time this bug was fixed.

Cheers,
    Glenn

12. fiddler

fiddler Bit poster

F11 and ctrl-F11 don't work

I am developing a MS-Access database sold to different customers.

Problem: "switching between the custom menu bar and the built-in menu bar is done by pressing CTRL+F11".

Without that functionality I can not develop MS-access applications.
    I have no other access to my development environment since I switched using the MS licenses to the parallel environment. So a fix is urgent.

13. GlennG

GlennG Member

It's a bug. Parallels engineers appear to be in no hurry to fix it as they've known about this for over 3 months.

I've moved my Visual Studio developments over to VMWare Fusion where this bug doesn't occur. They've even created an import utility to migrate away from Parallels!

Pity as Parallels has served me well thus far.

14. GlennG

GlennG Member

14 weeks and no fix

So, it's now more than three months and it's not been fixed.

Has it been forgotten, is it a difficult bug, or has it just been shelved?

It's damn annoying - and impossible for Visual Studio developers to live without F11 & F12.

15. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Dear all,

I should clarify some things:

In order to satisfy Mac users requests Parallels developers made F11 - F12 keys working the way they usually work on Mac: F11 - clearing Desktop, F12 - showing Dashboard.

On the other hand, trying to meet the requirements of the customers used to Windows behavior of the same keys, Parallels developers added a special option - Send Keys (Parallels Desktop menu bar -> Actions -> Send Keys).

If you do not like the Send Keys option and prefer using F11 - F12 right from your keyboard "in Windows mode", you will have to remove all shortcuts from these keys. For this you should go to Mac OS X System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts and disable F11 and F12 keys.

For a MacBook please enable Use all F1 etc. keys as standard... option in keyboard settings.

Your reports are delivered to Parallels developers and they are thinking of new ways to meet your expectations.

Best regards,
    Xenos

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  16. GlennG

GlennG Member

Doing that does NOT clear the problem.

All I'd like is for it to be consistent: Parallels running on Tiger != Parallels running on Leopard.

Also, given that we're running Windows, I'd much prefer it to work in the Windows way, i.e. F11 & F12 (which has been available on Windows keyboards since the IBM AT computer introduced 101 key keyboards in ~1996 :)

17. GlennG

GlennG Member

Just to confirm: this is wrong.

I've copied back a Parallels VM (I've switched to Fusion as it works) and ensured the following settings:
    - Parallels 5584
    - Leopard 10.5.2
    - System Preferences > Keyboard > Use all F1 keys.... [checked]
    - System Preferences > Keyboard > Kbd Shortcuts... no F11 or F12 enabled
    - System Preferences > Expose > All key settings [-]

This doesn't happen with Tiger.
    This doesn't happen with VMWare Fusion.

18. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello GlennG,

The workaround I proposed in the post #15 works on Tiger.
    And I have mentioned above that Parallels developers are aware of the issue on Leopard and are working to fix it. We appreciate all the information provided by you.

Best regards,
    Xenos

19. just.do.it

just.do.it Bit poster

Hello,

anything new about the problem? When will the fix (new build) be available? I'm thinking about switching to fusion if there won't be a chance to get rid of thing anoying problem soon.

Best regards,
    Dirk