CentOS 5.1 won't install

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by u.klose, Dec 3, 2007.

1. u.klose

u.klose Junior Member

Hi,

I just tried to install CentOS 5.1. After choosing what packages to install the system hangs. A dialog tells me to wait several minutes for the process to complete, but after half an hour still nothing happens.

Any ideas what this could be?

Cheers,
    Ulf

2. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

try to create a new VM with a completely new .hdd, then in the Configuration Editor disable floppy, sound and in the Options->Advanced tab disable Acceleration and Intel VT-x support. And in this new VM, please, try to install the OS again.

Best regards,
    Alicia.

3. u.klose

u.klose Junior Member

Unfortunately the VM is running so slow, I can't really work with that. The steps I completed with full acceleration after three minutes aren't complete after almost three hours. Will support for CentOS be included in the next update for Parallels?

Disabling floppy and sound lets me go further, but after a few minutes the installer quits with an error message, that the integrity of one package could not be checked. After restarting the VM the system doesn't start up.

4. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

could you please specify your host OS, Parallels build and provide me with detailed configuration of Mac and the VM?

Best regards,
    Alicia.

5. u.klose

u.klose Junior Member

I'm running Parallels 3.0 Build 5162 on Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.1 (all available updates installed).

My Mac is an iMac 24" (iMac7,1) with an Intel Core2Duo 2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM (2 * 1 GB DDRII 667 MHz), a 320 GB hard disk and the original Apple MightyMouse and Keyboard connected. My second screen is an Apple Cinema HD Display 23".

I created the VM with the default settings for Red Hat Linux, only changed Sound and Floppy to inactive.

If you need any further information please contact me again.

6. simon

simon Member

I have the same issue

I was thinking of replacing my FC8 VM with a CentOS 5.1 VM. Today I tried to install from the DVD ISO with the default settings and get a kernel dump as soon as the installer starts.

MBP 2.33 with 4G RAM
    Build 5584

I can take a screenshot if Parallels are interested.

7. allisonaaronb

allisonaaronb Bit poster

Did you find a solution?

8. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

simon, yes, please, attach a screenshot of the dump to your reply here.

9. jstrat

jstrat Bit poster

Crash after installation

Not sure if this is related but I have what sounds like a very similar problem with CentOS 5.1 (and also AsteriskNow Beta6 disk as well).

Installation proceeds completely, however I get a kernel panic when the system tries to boot for the first time.. see attached image. Having VT-x on or off makes no difference.

This is exactly the behaviour I get on the current beta of Parallels server as well.

Host OS version Mac OS 10.5.2 (all patches)
    Guest OS version CentOS 5.1 i386 version
    Host computer MacBook with 4Gb Ram

Parallels Desktop version - 5584

Attached Files:

10. cyclopath

cyclopath Bit poster

Me Too!!!

Ok, so a me too post isn't the best way to start, but if someone can spot the commonality it _might_ help.

I'm running 10.5.2 on a rev 2 macbook (core duo) with 2gig ram. Parallels build 5160, and Centos 5.1 (2.6.18-53-18)

When I first did my install I gave the guest OS 1024M ram, and it installed fine, but failed to boot. It would start booting, kernel panic, and reboot ad-infinitum. Lowering the ram to 512M allowed it to boot, but shortly afterwards one of my cpu's would peg (activity monitor says it's parallels), and the guest OS would hang.

Right now Centos IS running under Parallels, but with networking disabled (Parallels doesn't seem to recognize my SMC usb-ethernet, I'm pretty sure it DID yesterday!).

any clues?

-nigel

11. ckohler

ckohler Bit poster

CentOS 5.1 doesn´t boot

If got the same error as jstrat (see the attachment).

System:
    10.5.2 with latest updates
    Parallels Desktop 3.0 Build 5584
    CentOS 5.1 i386

Is it possible to modify kernel argument or something to boot???

Kind regards,

Carsten

Attached Files:

12. ckohler

ckohler Bit poster

Centos 5.1 doesn´t boot - solution

Hi,

the OS boots with the kernel parameter agp=off

Kind regards,

Carsten

13. jstrat

jstrat Bit poster

Spot on! Worked a treat. Many thanks for working this out.