Trouble starting Parallels Desktop

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by phawleyjr, Jan 29, 2008.

1. phawleyjr

phawleyjr Junior Member

I am a user of Parallels Desktop, 3.0, build 5584, and I repeatedly get the following message when I click to start the program.

"Parallels Desktop is unable to operate properly since it cannot communicate with one of its drivers. Try to restart the application to overcome this issue. If restart doesn't help, re-install Parallels Desktop. Note that Parallels drivers require a short time to be properly started and initialized. So you may need to wait a minute before trying to launch the application."

I have followed the following uninstall instructions EXACTLY as instructed: http://kb.parallels.com/print/235/

In fact, I have reinstalled Parallels at least a half dozen times, each time following the instructions . That is, first I run the Disk Utility, repair disk permissions, uninstall Paralles as instructed, then search for the specifically listed files as instructed, then repeat steps 2 and 3, then restart my computer and re-install.

I have also re-downloaded the installation files a few times, on the small chance that it was corrupted.

Nothing works. After each installation, I can use Parallels only as long as I keep the computer on. Once I reboot, or turn my computer off at night, the next time I use my computer and try to open Parallels I get that darn error message.

Every time I want to use Parallels, I have to reinstall the program!

Please help!

Phil

P.S. If it matters, I use an iMac (purchased about a year ago), I have Leopard loaded (Latest updates loaded), and I have Windows XP loaded on my Virtual windows machine. I do not use Boot Camp.

2. musk

musk Junior Member

I upgraded from 5582 to 5584 yesterday and I now have this problem as well.

Edit: Running 10.5.1 on MacBook Pro.

3. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

phawleyjr,
    did you try to wait a couple of minutes before starting the Parallels?
    Please try to use this article. Will it help?

Best regards,
    Stacey

4. phawleyjr

phawleyjr Junior Member

Yes, Stacey, I tried waiting

I've waited as long as 30 minutes and as few as 3-4 minutes, and every length in between. It does not make a difference.

Regarding the article about opening a virtual machine automatically at startup, I don't want to try that. Parallels needs to be stable enough to run under normal conditions. FOr many reasons, I don't want to have to open a VM at startup to get around this problem.

Stacey, what other ideas do have for fixing this problem?

5. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

did you try to install the latest MacFUSE release, available here?

Best regards,
    Stacey

6. musk

musk Junior Member

Thank you Stacey! MacFUSE was the problem. After upgrading it to version 10.5-1.3.1, Parallels build 5584 launches without problem.

I use MacFUSE for more than just Parallels (for sshfs and ntfs-3g), but I still didn't realize there was a new version available. Would it be possible for Parallels to give some sort of informative message when it may need a MacFUSE upgrade? Or better yet, for any upgrade of critical support software that isn't handled by the Parallels installer.

Also, do I risk breaking Parallels if I upgrade MacFUSE without a Parallels upgrade?

7. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

I will contact our developers about adding such a message. But MacFUSE is not always the solution in such situations.

No, upgrading MacFUSE should not affect Parallels.

Best regards,
    Stacey

8. phawleyjr

phawleyjr Junior Member

Stacey, I will install MacFuse and let you know if that solves my problem.

9. phawleyjr

phawleyjr Junior Member

So far, the MacFuse fix is working. That is, since installing MacFuse two days ago I have been able to open Parallels without an error message. Thanks.

10. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

phawleyjr,
    I am glad that your issue was resolved. Thank you for using Parallels.

Best regards,
    Stacey