Parallels Workstation 2.1 Beta2 for Mac OS X is Now Available!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by STim, Apr 8, 2006.

1. STim

STim Bit poster

Parallels is proud to release the Beta2 version of Parallels Workstation 2.1 for Mac OS X! Thanks to our 25,000+ beta testers and millions of supporters worldwide, we were able to fix several beta1 issues and produce an even higher-performing, more stable version of the industry's first virtualization solution for Intel-Powered Macs!

Major Beta2 Fixes Include:

- Kernel panic in network driver
    - Kernel panic when click Report a problem menu item
    - WiFi networking issues
    - Real CD/DVD issues
    - Fedora 5 installation crash

Download new Beta2 here!

2. Neuron

Neuron Member

Thanks for the fast update! I knew I wasn't making a mistake when I decided to have faith that you guys would address issues quickly and placed my pre-order. Keep up the great work.

3. casioguy

casioguy Member

I just placed my pre-order. Fastest decision I ever made!

4. Scott Willsey

Scott Willsey Hunter

Great work! I do have a problem though - now the program sees "Default CD/DVD-ROM" and will allow me to set the guest OS to use this, but when I run XP it tells me that it can't open the device.

I can't seem to get past this CD/DVD-ROM not working problem.

5. STim

STim Bit poster

Hi Scott,

Do you have any CD inserted into the CD-ROM when starting Parallels? If so, is mounted CD icon available on your desctop that time?

6. ms @ parallels

ms @ parallels Parallels Team

You must insert cd-rom before pressing power on. This is a limitiation os OS X, they are create device entry only if real cd in drive. This issue will be fixed later.

7. palter

palter Hunter

In Beta 2, I switched my VM to Default DVD/CD-ROM and started the VM. I did this without a CD in the drive. I received the alert that it couldn't attach to the device. After my VM (XP SP2) was running, I inserted a CD, right-clicked on the CD icon at the bottom of the Parallels window, selected Default DVD/CD-ROM, and the CD was captured by the VM and began to autoplay.

8. Scott Willsey

Scott Willsey Hunter

Yes, I had a cd (dvd actually) in the drive and on my OS X desktop.

Question - does this only support CD's and not DVD's? I just realized the programs I was going to install are on DVD media and not CD.

Thanks.

9. STim

STim Bit poster

Yes, DVDs are not recognized by this Beta.
    That's something we should definitely fix in GA :)

10. Scott Willsey

Scott Willsey Hunter

Yeah, definitely please do! I need dvd support to install all my MSDN software.

11. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

Fantastic work on the fast update. Seems more stable here.

The second you guys add USB support you'll get my money.

12. pcunix

pcunix Junior Member

Network and cut/paste?

I placed my order immediately also.. it's so great to have this!

Two things: prior to the upgrade, I could (for example) ssh from my Mac to the Fedora VM.

Since the upgrade, I can't do that. I still can ssh between two virtual machines however, and access the web, etc, so it's not that networking is broken entirely.

Secondly: will there ever be cut and paste to Linux VM's? Not necessary if ssh is working, of course..

BTW, I installed Centos and FC5, both are fine except for that keyboard glitch: can't type "|" in any of these (but can in Windows).

13. anshar

anshar Member

Check if "WiFi" checkbox is correct in VM configuration window - it should correspond to adapter you are actually bridged.

14. pcunix

pcunix Junior Member

Yes, it is, and the right adaptor is selected..

Are you saying this is still working for you after the upgrade?

15. simon

simon Member

I installed Ubuntu and I'm able to ssh from OSX to the VM with no problems. I'm unable to get a dhcp address though, I have to statically assign an IP to get networking to work. Not a problem to me though.

16. dailo

dailo Member

Using ethernet or wifi? It appears that ethernet for me does not work for ssh/ftp, but wireless does. Thanks.