Can't access web program in Windows externally

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by samlhall, Jan 28, 2008.

1. samlhall

samlhall Bit poster

I've searched high low and sideways for a discussion on this issue and, having found none, am hoping users well versed in networking can help.

Simple description: we have a "web edition" program (TimeClocks Plus) that under Boot Camp we can access:

1) within the local network (so employees can post their work times) by addressing the (iMac Intel) machine directly in most any browser (i.e., 192.168.xx.xxx/tcpwebedition);

or 2) externally by addressing the machine and program again through any browser by entering the router's ISP-given ip address and (router assigned) port number (i.e.,
    27.132.xxx.xxx:80/tcpwebedition). This is important: It took a simple port assignment on the router, but that those port assignments only use the 192.168.xx.xxx local network series of addresses..

As I said, if the machine is in Boot Camp, no access problems. That's not the case in Parallels. We use that Boot Camp partition under Parallels and everything else works fine; but trying to access that web program under Parallels results in networking issues I just don't know how to handle.

One advantage Boot Camp has is that it uses the Intel iMac's router assigned local address -- so we can use the same 192.168.xx.xxx number to access the machine whether it is in Mac OSX or Windows (Boot Camp) mode.

Parallels introduces NAT addressing, however, and a different local network assignment (10.xxx.xx.xxx). I have tried all avenues I can think of to access the program in Parallels.

If I manually assign (through TCP/IP in the Windows Control Panel) the same 192.168.xx.xxx number to the parallels Windows machine that works in Boot Camp, the system complains that number already exists and is in use; if I give it a unique number (but still using the 192.168.xx.xxx set-up), it is invisible externally, even if I assign that unique number to a port. I've tried DHCP'ing under the Windows TCP/IP, but then it seems to adopt the 10.xxx.xx.xxx series of numbers, which the router can't address. Etc Etc Etc.

I've tried to keep this bare-bones but would gladly expand on my attempts should anyone have some suggestions.

Again, simply put, we are trying to access that Web program (Timeclocks Plus) via a browser address both on the local network and externally when that program is runninng in Windows under Parallels.

Thanks for your attention.

-- samlhall

2. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Samlhall,

Did you try to use Bridged Ethernet mode to get access to TimeClocks Plus?
    In Configuration Editor open Network Adapter section and set Bridged Ethernet instead of Shared Networking.

Best regards,
    Xenos

3. samlhall

samlhall Bit poster

Can't access web program in Windows externally (cont.)

Hi Xenos and thanks for the reply.

Did you try to use Bridged Ethernet mode to get access to TimeClocks Plus?
    In Configuration Editor (http://kb.parallels.com/entry/27/470/0/) open Network
    Adapter section and set Bridged Ethernet instead of Shared Networking.

In fact, I did, and when in that mode Parallels sets up a NAT address (on the OSX side) in the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx range. I had no success trying to address the tcpwebedition program through that IP address. My next approach then to manually reset the NAT in the 192.168.xxx.xxx range (which is my ip range behind the router) and give it a unique address that does not conflict with any other machines on the LAN. Then, looking in on the Windows side, I set the tcp/ip propterties to DHCP. I then ran a cmd / ipconfig request and it showed the ip to be the same as the one I gave the NAT.

So the dilemma is: under Boot camp, I can access the program through a browser on the LAN simply by typing in the ip address of the Boot Camp machine (which happens to be the same ip when under OSX) in this form, using a sample address: "http://192.168.xxx.6/tcpwebedition".

You'd think I'd be able to do the same using the NAT assigned address under parallels "http://192.168.xxx.100/tcpwebedition" for example, but it just doesn't work.

Any further thoughts? Anyone?

4. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Samlhall,

Please try setting static IP in Bridged Ethernet mode. It should not be the same as Mac IP as this will cause IP address conflict.

To set static IP address copy the IP from Mac System Preferences -> Network -> Ethernet and copy it to Windows side:

Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections. Right click Local Area Connections, choose Properties. On General tab find Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the list of items used for the connection. Double click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and check Use the following IP address.

When you have copied the Mac IP address into the field IP address, change the last two numbers. For example, if your Mac IP is 172.16.0.30, your Windows IP should be 172.16.0.71.

Best regards,
    Xenos

5. samlhall

samlhall Bit poster

Please try setting static IP in Bridged Ethernet mode. It should not be the same as Mac IP as this will cause IP address conflict.

To set static IP address

Hi Xenos,

I definitely will take your suggestion and try it, but not until Friday since the boss (my wife, whose bookkeeping service I support by doing all things computerized) is away for a few days and wants NOTHING to go wrong with the machines for her workers. So everything is back to Boot Camp for a little while.

I will follow up for sure, however.

Also helping me from a slightly different tack is Eru Ithilder from the thread "Hosting a website in Windows under Parallels" which is somewhat of a restatement of the original problem I put forth. I am very grateful to both of you for your help (AND for this forum, for sure). Will be in touch soon.

Tx

saml

6. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Note, you need to make sure that your DHCP allows static IPs to be selected by the client to use Xenos' .71 example.