Help with system requirements

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MacNewbee, Jan 26, 2008.

1. MacNewbee

MacNewbee Bit poster

Parallels Desktop 3.0 User Manual indicates using only a full version of the operating system you want to install. I purchased an OEM version of Windows XP ... why won't this work? An IT member of my company says it should be no problem... any comments on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, MacNewbee

2. ayeying

ayeying Member

OEM disks works in Parallels. Have you tried installing?

3. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

They 'usually' work. I have never had an issue, but there are some who do have issues. The main difference is whether or not it has any post-install processes bundled with it.

As you have already purchased it, give it a try, if it doesn't work, try imaging the disk with disk utility and trying again.

4. MacNewbee

MacNewbee Bit poster

An OEM thanks.

You've restored my confidence...I'll give it a shot!!! Many thanks, MacNewbee.

5. macozsx

macozsx Bit poster

another 'newbie' to mac and parallels here - what does "imaging the disk with disk utility" mean?
    Could you please explain - is that a piece of software on the mac?
    I need to install XP and seem to be able to find only OEM versions, so am anxious about this.
    thanks!

6. itsdapead

itsdapead Hunter

I think Parallels are just covering their backsides in terms of licensing - OEM Windows is only meant to be sold along with a new PC (or the components to build one) and installed on that PC. Go read the license if you want a laugh.

If you want to install Windows on an existing, non-Windows machine, Microsoft would like you to pay $HOW MUCH!? for a "full version" thank you.

7. macozsx

macozsx Bit poster

I think I understand - but it was suggested that there are different OEMs for different manufacturers? is that so? I had never heard that.
    And that some versions may not work on mac at all?

And could someone please explain what is meant by "try imaging the disk with disk utility " in a previous post?
    I'll bite the bullet and try installing the OEM version, but want to be conversant with what I might need to do if my first attempts fail?
    thanks!

8. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

There are OEM disks for different manufacturers, which install windows and a set of drivers keyed to the particular machines, these disks can only be installed on machines which support their bundled information without some fudging around (if you are daring, it is technically feasible, might not be licit though).

To image the disk, you open Disk Utility and create an image. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=create+a+disk+image+with+disk+utility&btnG=Google+Search

9. macozsx

macozsx Bit poster

Thank you for clarifying this!
    That makes me VERY wary of purchasing an OEM disk, as I am not THAT technical!
    I am pursuing the option of just purchasing a full license, since no-one in Australia sells the retail packs any longer, and in the USA they refuse to sell them to non-US addresses.

Oh and thank you very much for the pointer to what 'disk utility' means, that's great! :)

10. itsdapead

itsdapead Hunter

Ending up with a vendor-specific Windows disk should only be a danger if you purchase it from some bloke down the pub or similar dodgy outfit, and it will probably be plastered in Sony/Dell/HP/etc. logos and warnings anyway.

If you buy an XP OEM disk from a reputable source selling them alongside PC motherboards/hard drives/cpus etc. then it should be a "generic" one that will work on any system.

However *all* OEM disks are only meant to be sold with a new PC (or some major components thereof) and a "reputable" source may also insist that you buy a hard drive, motherboard or CPU at the same time - and while I have no sympathy for the way Microsoft charges 3x over the odds for "Full Retail" versions, the sad fact is that the license is pretty clear that is what they want you to buy for an existing computer that didn't come with windows.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  11. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Yea, OEM is a legal 'gray area'. I believe you could, in the letter of the law, interpret the hardware as a mouse.

12. macozsx

macozsx Bit poster

and microsoft does NOT make it easy!
    I have not found a source for the XP Retail pack in Australia, and US sites will not ship outside the US.
    Caught between a rock and a hard place?

13. itsdapead

itsdapead Hunter

And they wonder why open source software is gaining popularity...

Just a thought - have you tried Amazon? (I assume they have an Australian site).

Otherwise you might have to bite the bullet and go for Vista (bletch!)