Blackberry desktop software not working

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by quadgrande, Jun 7, 2007.

1. bbarger

bbarger Bit poster

Xenos,

I've been tracking this thread for a few weeks now and have I think I have tried just about everything you have suggested to date. I am still unable to connect my Blackberry.

System:
    Mac OS: Leopard
    Parallels Ver: 3.0 build 5584
    Blackberry: 8130 Pearl
    Desktop Manager Ver: 4.3

When I connect to the XP VM system the device is detected and then seems to drop out. This happens continuously, it connects and disconnects repeatedly.

I have tried uninstalling then put in a fresh install of Parallels and that did not work.

I have reinstalled Windows XP and that did not work.

I installed Pocket Mac (from another thread) and this dd not work.

I have tried to unplug the USB and reconnect and that did not work.

I'm certain that XP sees the BB but for some reason it keeps getting dropped. I have run out of things to try. Do you have any suggestions or perhaps a detailed method to follow that may outline steps to get this divice connected?

Thank you,
    Bill

2. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Bill,

Did you try to connect your BlackBerry to the Guest OS via Apple Bluetooth (see post #100)?

Best regards,
    Xenos

3. bbarger

bbarger Bit poster

Xenos,

I did as you outlined but it actually appears to be doing exactly the same thing which is it makes a connection then drops it. I can actually see it connect then drop out.

On top of this I have a Bluetooth mouse and if I activate the Apple-Wireless I lose the connection to the mouse.

I am really confused as to how this is supposed to work. I know people say to use Fusion but I tried it and I actually do not like it because it caused me some problems with other applications.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Bill

4. nlauriat

nlauriat Bit poster

Xenos,

That worked, although not exactly as expected. A couple of notes:

1. I couldn't seem to install the drivers individually. I would click on the file name in Windows, and nothing would happen. I eventually just re-ran the whole Boot Camp installer.

2. When I connected the "Apple - Wireless" to the virtual machine, it gave me an error message, suggesting that the hardware was not installed properly.

But, I went ahead and looked for the phone through the BlackBerry Desktop Manager. It found it, paired with it, and updated it successfully!

So, thanks for your help. It worked, albeit not exactly as you described. I'm still eager for the USB functionality to be added, but this is a fine solution in the meantime.

Thanks again!

5. laurentio

laurentio Bit poster

yes, it looks like there is a major USB problem. not only with blackberries (still haven't got mine synch) but with 90% of the USB devices...if i monitor my processor usage wile i plug the printer into a USB port (have tried 3 dif. printers) it suddenly jumps to 100% usage.
    Have tried with 2 USB webcams...shame...or even with a basic keyboard....
    please advice.
    my config is still the same just that i have upgraded Parallels to the latest one.

6. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all,

Bill, please have a look at these articles:

- Set up Bluetooth connectivity with BlackBerry Desktop Manager
    - Cannot synchronize BlackBerry device with Desktop Manager using Bluetooth wireless connection
    - How to use the built in Mac bluetooth in Windows under Parallels
    I hope they will help you to synchronize your 8130 Pearl.

Nlauriat, thank you for the feedback. Glad to know you got it working.

Laurentio and everybody, we are sorry for USB issues with Parallels Desktop. Our developers are working to improve USB support. Thank you for your reports anyway.

Best regards,
    Xenos

7. carlynl

carlynl Bit poster

Blackberry sync now working with USB and v5584

After I updated to Parallels 5584, my Blackberry sync no longer worked. I had also deleted pocketmac because I wasn't using it. I finally got it fixed after reviewing postings here and taking several steps. Here's what I did:

change VM USB config to connect USB devices to VM by default
    reinstall parallels tools from menu item
    download pocketmac and install on Mac
    set blackberry desktop software to sync automatically and not update device time
    don't plug in blackberry until after PC boots
    unplug and replug it within 1 second

And - hooray - it began to sync. I suspect that the key was installing the pocketmac software on the Mac. And it is now updating my blackberry applications. hopefully that will complete without a hitch. it already disconnected once and I was able to restart it.

My configuration: MacOS 10.4.11, MS Windows XP, Sprint Blackberry 8830, Parallels 5584

I appreciate everyone's posts and hope that mine will help someone.

And Parallels staff - PLEASE MAKE THIS A HIGH PRIORITY FIX!!!!
    What a way to spend the evening before a business trip, when I really need my blackberry data to be current...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  8. laurentio

laurentio Bit poster

Adios

Dear all,

thanks for having me but I am afraid the time of searches and tries has come to an end for me. I run a pro business and I honestly cannot waste my time trying to sort out an issue which should not exist in first place. I cannot afford not being updated or not being spot on when it comes to data, contacts, app-ts and ...(shame I have to say it) but PD is not my cup of tea.
    I need a solid, reliable application that gives me increased productivity not increased headaches.

Regards,

9. carlynl

carlynl Bit poster

ok, the application loader wizard failed in the middle - and it's backup file can't be found - so another tip for folks - do your own backup using the desktop "backup and restore" function before attempting to update your blackberry applications. Don't believe the application loader when it says it is doing a backup! It looks like it will be able to successfully reinstall everything, and I'll resync from my contact manager, but my stored email is lost.

Later note:
    A final tip for anyone who ends up reinstalling their blackberry applications using parallels - there comes a point when the basic system software has been installed, and the installation software is waiting for the blackberry - then it will disconnect - you will hear the beep - if you do nothing, it will time out and fail. if instead, as soon as you hear the beep, you then unplug and replug the blackberry quickly, it may just reconnect and work for you like it did for me.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  10. bluejacket

bluejacket Bit poster

I should say (as I was on here before) that everything works for me now.

Regards,
    Gordon

11. schavez98

schavez98 Bit poster

I am having the same issue with my Blackberry 8830, using BB Desktop Manager in Windows XP. I have Parallels 3.0 and the device is not recognized when I connect via USB. Bluetooth does not work either.

It is time consuming to power down the computer, boot up natively in windows, launch desktop manager and synch the device.

Is there a fix for this?

12. smunro622@gmail.com

smunro622@gmail.com Bit poster

schavez98... I have a similiar issue, build 5582, OSX 10.5.2 MAc pro 16 gigs memory XP instance with 2 gigs. It will see the pearl but i keep get the dinging that a usb device is attached hten un attached and it keeps doing this. I have switched cables new software, make automaticlly connect to the vm instance. but no luck I installit on another machine r uns perfect. I am at a lost

13. hanseric

hanseric Bit poster

You're lucky. My Parallels won't see Pearl at all. At one point I though it would because Windows was making that "ding dong" sound it does when a USB device is attached, but then it wouldn't stop making the sound and BB desktop s/w never ended up seeing my Pearl. Finally just started sync'ing using Mac. (Also not happy with PocketMac s/w but that's for another forum another time.)
    Have had enough problems with Parallels being slow and buggy and eating up all my resources that I'm looking into alternatives.

14. yeschick

yeschick Bit poster

Blackberry 8830 sync

I like many others, have had huge issues syncing my 8830. I read, uninstalled, re-installed, and did all the troubleshooting stuff. I got desperate and unplugged everything hooked to my mac (my BB, timemachine BU device, USB hub), still didn't sync. Then started plugging everything back in and all of a sudden BB desktop recognized my 8830. I think perhaps all of the other stuff plugged in just messed up WindowsXP or Parallels.

Hope this helps someone.

15. Seoman

Seoman Bit poster

Bluetooth still not working.

I've read this thread and several similar and followed post #100.

I have both BluetoothInstaller and BluetoothEnabler installed from my disks. I am running Leopard on a MacBook Air. The guest os is windows xp pro with updates up to service pack 2 but not including sp2. I'm running build 5584 of mac desktop 3.0.

I have the usb host set to the mac not the guest os.

When i goto Devices -> USB -> Bluetooth USB Host Controller and enable it, the bluetooth properly disconnects from the mac and comes up as new hardware in the guest os. After a bit of serarching it seems to locate the drivers but fails telling me:

"The required section was not found in the INF."

I have read a similar post where someone got that message and removed all the PNF and INFCACHE files and re-installed the drivers, but after trying this i'm still getting the same error.

So, would sp2 solve this issue?
    Any other ideas on fixing the problem, I have re-installed the drivers a few times now.

I'm also not getting any updates, even tho i'm registered and i know there is a 5600 build.

16. orange49

orange49 Bit poster

This fixed my 8830...

I was having the problem of my 8830 not connecting and the constant usb disconnecting/reconnecting issue. I applied the following instructions and it works perfect now, next time i opened desktop it connected immediately.

Cause 2
    The RIMDeviceManagerps.dll file is incorrectly registered in Microsoft Windows.
    Resolution
    1. On the computer, click Start > All Programs > Accessories.
    2. Right click Command Prompt, and then select Run as Administrator.
    3. In the Command Prompt, type cd "\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\RIMDeviceManager".
    4. Press ENTER.
    5. Type regsvr32 RIMDeviceManagerps.dll
    6. Press ENTER.
    7. Click OK in the popup window.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  17. Seoman

Seoman Bit poster

Got it all working, thanks.

Well, its now all working.

I decided to remove all mac bootcamp drivers, then upgrade to SP2 since bootcamp needs it. Installed bootcamp, which puts on all the drivers and upgraded it. All works nicely now although I do sometimes have to disconnect and reconnect the BT to the VM to get it behaving.

It would be nice to have the option to say, always connect this usb device to guest or host.

18. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Thsi will be implemented in Parallels Desktop ver 4

19. Seoman

Seoman Bit poster

Nice, thanks John I'll look forward to that then.

20. dgill

dgill Bit poster

BB 8130 not connecting since upgrade to parallels 3.0 yesterday

Have tried everything in this thread and on support knowledge base to no avail. BB just keeps connecting and disconnecting rapidly. Connects fine in Leopard but not in XP VM. Worked fine in Parallels 2.5. Sent email to tech support with no response. How long before v4.0 comes out? How do I revert back to 2.5?

Thanks!