How to set the default screen mode (windowed/full screen/coherence) for a VM?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Maccer, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Maccer

Maccer Junior Member

I have Parallels Desktop 5160 and a WinXP image on a Macbook Pro 2,33 GHz with MacOS 10.4.10. I want to run XP in windowed mode, and earlier it used to start up that way, but now it is starting up in full-screen mode: a small DOS screen in the middle of the screen with black background, then a small Windows loading screen, then for a while a small Windows Desktop, and finally the Win Desktop changes its resolution and fills the screen.

Is there any preference that I am missing? I switch it to Windowed mode, but that preference doesn't seem to be remembered next time I start the VM.

2. Maccer

Maccer Junior Member

I was forced to force-shut down my MBP while Parallels was paused due to these %&/ go to / wake from sleep problems when the lid is closed. After that the screen resolution was remembered correctly for some reason. So: problem solvwd, but I have no idea about what did it.

3. robinkaspar

robinkaspar Member

I am having this same problem so I hope someone will have an answer. I tried coherence mode the other day, didn't like it, tried full screen mode and now I'm stuck in it by default. I really want to go back to windowed mode.

I am running Parallels 3 with Leopard and WinXP on my MBP.

Thanks
    Robin

4. robinkaspar

robinkaspar Member

OK, it corrected itself. Weird.

5. Maccer

Maccer Junior Member

I'm just got this same problem again. Now I'm running build 5584.
    I checked the preference file for the virtual machine. It had a line

Start full screen = 22

What does "22" mean in this case?

I tried to change the settings in the virtual machine to start up in "Single window" by default. This made the "22" change to "21". Sure, it does, but it doesn't remember the resolution I used when I shut down the virtual machine (1024x768) but instead always starts up in 640x480, which is a bit annoying.