Caught in a Parallels Desktop Catch-22! (Virtual Disk size)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by dzornow, Feb 1, 2008.

1. dzornow

dzornow Junior Member

Hi! I seem to be caught in a loop, of sorts with my Windows XP install under Parallels 3.0.

My parallels install has a larger disk size than it needs -- and it keeps on growing everytime I run the VM (and no, I'm not adding any new programs. It just seems to suck up all of the available disk space on my mac like a sponge!)

As a result, I'm running out of disk space -- on both my VM and my Host OS (Leopard). Parallels isn't really functioning b/c a few minutes after booting, it runs out of disk space, and gives me a msg that I need to clear up some files. But I have removed just about everything that I can.

I've tried to copy my Parallels files to an external hard drive, but get an error message that says (Error Code 0). Which isn't clearly documented in Apple's documentation.

When I try to run the Parallel Image Tool, it fails b/c I don't have enough disk space on my current drive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-dz

2. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

please tell me if you are using Leopard.

Best regards,
    Stacey

3. dzornow

dzornow Junior Member

yes, this is a Leopard MacBook (10.5.1). 2gb of RAM

4. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Go to Macintosh HD -> Users -> "Your user name (The house" icon) ->Documents (Library) -> Parallels and open the Virtual Machine Name folder. There you will find .hdd file. Please tell me the size of this file.
    If possible, also please tell me the size of disk in Windows.

Then try to start Parallels Compressor:
    1. Start VM.
    2. Click 'Actions' -> 'Run Parallels Compressor'.

If it is not possible, open 'Configuration Editor' of your VM ('Edit' -> 'Virtual Machine') -> 'Hard Disk' tab -> 'Advanced' -> 'Compact'.

Will it help?

Best regards,
    Stacey

5. dzornow

dzornow Junior Member

6. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Please try to start Parallels Image Tool and via 'Manage disk properties' merge snapshots. Is it possible?
    Also please try to do the following:
    1. In the Finder, browse to the virtual machine folder (the default path is: Documents-Parallels-Virtual Machine).
    2. Do you have ".sav" and ".mem" files there?

Best regards,
    Stacey

7. talmy

talmy Member

I'll be watching this thread since I've got a similar problem (since I created a snapshot). It's like once you create one, you can never truly get rid of it, as far as the Compressor is concerned. My file is running 14GB to represent an 8GB partition, so I'm not in as desparate straits as you. I'm thinking of just rebuilding from my initial install (I created an initial image with just Windows, and then copy that to have several specialized VMs so I can keep each install small and efficient).

8. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

talmy,
    did you try to remove snapshots via Parallels Image Tool?

Best regards,
    Stacey

9. dzornow

dzornow Junior Member

Stacey:

My snapshots folder is empty. And there are no .sav or .mem files in the documents/Parallels folder.

One odd thing about my system: I have two Windows Folders. One is called
    "Microsoft Windows XP" and the second is called
    "Microsoft Windows XP 1"

However, there is only one winxp.hdd instance and that is in the original install. The second install has an alias/shortcut called "C" which points to a private temp file.

10. talmy

talmy Member

I used the Snapshot Manager from Parallels' menu. But it would hang. So I deleted the snapshot folder and XML file. Then I could add and delete with the Snapshot manager. Compressor works with other images, just not this one that I made a snapshot of early on. Somehow I didn't realize the Image Tool was still around. I'll look for that and try it.

11. talmy

talmy Member

I went to the Parallels Image Tool and converted the image to a plain image. The size halved! Since they are more efficient, I decided not to switch it back to expanding. So I'm now happy. I wonder if this solution would work for the OP?