Sierra Wireless card not working in Virtual Machine

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by kcwell, Feb 1, 2008.

1. kcwell

kcwell Bit poster

I upgraded to Leopard recently and now when I try to go to the internet through Windows, it doesn't connect. can anyone help me with this??

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Have you un-installed and reinstalled Parallels and/or Parallels tools?

3. kcwell

kcwell Bit poster

No I haven't. I'll try that next.

Thanks....I'll let you know

4. kcwell

kcwell Bit poster

I have done both and still no connection, although when I check settings I have a 'green light' for parallels......also I am running build 3224. if that helps.

Also, when I start the virtual machine, i get this message ....'problem with network adapter is detected. Please check if network cable is connected to the physical network adapter attached to the virtual machine'.

I'm not sure if this is why I'm having trouble OR this is a different problem entirely.

Please help!!! :)

5. asp

asp Junior Member

Running Sierra Wireless card through MAC OS - sharing with VM

I have the Sierra Wireless AirCard 595U (SPRINT). I have it running through the MAC OS X 10.5.1 software using the Sierra Wireless Lite 1.1.1 software. Running Parallels 3.0 build 5584. I haven't tried to run it from the VM guest OS (WIN XP SP2). In fact, I am sending this message while using the Sierra Wireless.

Unless there is a specific reason to run it through the VM you might try running it through the MAC OS. The benefit for me is that I can have remote communications for both the Mac and the guest WIN XP OS.

6. kcwell

kcwell Bit poster

I need to access a website that has membership/download info that can only be accessed/run through Windows. I have the same Sprint 595U card running through 10.5.1 as well and it worked seamlessly before the Leopard install.

7. asp

asp Junior Member

I should have added this to the first reply. I am able to use the Sierra Wireless with both the MAC OS and the guest WIN XP OS at the same time. Therefore, I can have the MAC OS Safari browser running at the same time as IE 7.0 is running on the WIN XP both communicating through the Sierra Wireless 595U which is logically and physically attached to the MAC OS. To the WIN XP OS it just thinks it has a TCP/IP connection because I am sharing my network link from the MAC OS to the parallels guest OS.

It should also be able to work for you.

A couple of months ago I did physically connect the 595U to a PC that had the PC version of the sierra wireless software. The firmware of the 595U was updated through this connection. The MAC Sierra Wireless Lite version will not upgrade the firmware of the 595U. This might affect the quality of the link but I wouldn't think the older firmware would prevent the connection. The hardware version of the 595U I am using is 2.0 and the modem software version is p2010002

I hope this helps.