Cisco VPN (Win, 4.6.00.0049) does not work

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by errandwolfe, Feb 1, 2008.

1. errandwolfe

errandwolfe Bit poster

I am having a problem here that is driving nuts. Would really appreciate it if someone could be of assistance.

I have a boot camp partition that has all my corporate stuff on it. If I boot directly into Windows using Boot Camp, the Cisco VPN client works perfectly for me. If however I try to use the Boot Camp partition in Parallels, the VPN client always seems to hang at "Securing Communications".

I have tried both bridged and shared networking and I get the exact same results in either mode. I have also tried it in multiple locations (home, public wifi, secured wifi), and again always the same result. I am trying to avoid using the Mac Cisco client at all costs.

Does anyone have any idea why it might be performing this way? Oh and for the record running 10.5.1 with Parallels build 5584.

2. errandwolfe

errandwolfe Bit poster

BUMP.... Can anyone even confirm whether or not they are having this problem?

3. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Errandwolfe,

Please set Shared Networking in your VM and connect to VPN from Mac. Disable Firewall on Windows side.
    VPN is supported by Parallels Desktop.

Best regards,
    Xenos

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  4. errandwolfe

errandwolfe Bit poster

Xenos,
    I am not really sure what you mean. I have tried shared networking and I have the same issue as bridged networking. When you say connect VPN to Mac do you mean to use the VPN client on the Mac side? I am not able to do that as it is prohibited by my company's security policies. I need to run the VPN client on the Windows side.

5. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Errand,

Well, I thought you were going to use VPN on Mac side. Please try the following:

1. Create a new Network Adapter in VM Configuration. So you have 2 Network Adapters now.
    2. Set Bridged mode for one of them and Host-only for the other.
    3. Connect to VPN from Windows.
    4. On Mac side use Internet Sharing to share Host-guest adapter connection with Mac network interface.
    Firewall should be disabled on Windows side.

Please consult your IT Department on the details.

Best regards,
    Xenos

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008