Dell 3010cn Printer support??

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by pilaar39, Feb 9, 2008.

1. pilaar39

pilaar39 Bit poster

Ok.. after about 20 years as a diehard PC user, I finally (at the suggestion of my son-in-law) decided to buy an iMac. I believe I made a big and costly mistake.

My first obstacle is that I cannot print to my networked Dell 3010cn printer - Dell does not have drivers for the Mac!

Some people have suggested Parallels, hence my post here. If I install Parallels and then install the Dell drivers in the Windows session in Parallels, I would like to know if the printer will be accessable only from the Windows session, or will it also be available to the Mac sessions.

I don't want to have to work in Mac mode, save my work, then reopen the project in Windows to print it. That would involve buying two sets of software: one for the Mac and one for Windows. Ideally, I would like to seamlessly use the Parallels resources from the Mac.

So, hopefully, there is a simple solution to this print problem. (Buying another printer is not an option I want to consider)

2. jesschoen

jesschoen Member

I'm using a 3000cn printer with a MacMini, Parallels 5582 and Leopard. The printer prints from the Mac side with no problems although a bit slower than pure Windows. In Parallels, it prints OK but only after I select it under devices/USB. In other words, it doesn't go seamlessly from one to the other. If I have selected it under devices, I have to unselect it to print again on the Mac side.

Listed below is part of an e-mail from an expert on this subject--it may be helpful.

At 9:09 AM -0700 4/21/07, jesschoen wrote:
    Message body follows:

Matt--I'm trying to set up a Dell 3000cn to print in color
    on a Mac. I have it
    working fine but only in black and white. I've seen the
    thread referencing this
    problem and think I have tried the solutions but still no
    results in color.

The Gutenprint drivers do not support color printing to
    LaserJets at the prsent time.

The best color driver for this printer would be the pxlmono
    driver. To use it, download and install Foomatic-RIP and
    ESP Ghostscript from
    <http://linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/MacOSX/foomatic>

Download the PPD for the HP Color LaserJet 5000 from
    <http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_driver.cgi?driver=pxlmono>.
    Place the downloaded PPD in the
    /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/ directory.

You can then create a new printer queue using that PPD. Look
    for "HP Color LaserJet 5000 Foomatic/pxlmono" when choosing
    the PPD.

Matt

Hope this helps.

James

3. rogershields

rogershields Junior Member

Dell 3000cn problem

I've tried to follow various posts here with no luck so far.

I thought I'd try to do something simple like connect the 3000cn only in the Parallels Windows, since at least I have the right Windows driver, but still no luck.

I get the setup working fine, seemingly; the PC sees the printer, installs it and says it's ready. When I try to print a test page though the print job shows up briefly on the printer queue and then disappears, as if it had printed properly BUT no output from the printer.

Any thoughts anyone? Is it possible that the USP port does not have enough power? (I have aflash drive in anther port, but removing it didn't seem to make any difference).

4. rogershields

Just to add to the previous post - I can print fine when Windows is started up as the OS on power up through Boot Camp. I have Parallels set up to use Boot Camp also, so I thought it ought to be fine BUT cannot print.

5. pilaar39

pilaar39 Bit poster

Sort of got it working with Fusion

Well, I intalled VMware Fusion, and managed to get the printer drivers installed for the Fusion Windows XP sesson.. even got it to print properly (from Windows). However, no matter what I tried, I just could not get it to print from the Mac. Even tried Gutenprint, but could not find an appropriate driver for my printer.

I think the only solution is to upgrade to a printer that officially supports both PC and MAC.

6. rogershields

Quick follow on - I finally had success by connecting the printer to the router and setting it up as a network printer in Parallels. Now to try to get the same printer to work from the Mac OS X!

7. Mike Holliday

Mike Holliday Bit poster

Directions for using Dell 3010cn in Mac OS X

Here is how to use the Dell 3010cn Color Laser Printer on Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard (or 10.3-10.5):

1) Install Ghostscript 8.64
    http://www.openprinting.org/download...-8.64so-ub.dmg

2) Install Foomatic-RIP-4.0.2
    http://www.openprinting.org/download...-4.0.2.211.dmg

3) Download the PPD
    OpenPrinting database - Printer: Dell 3010cn

4) Add printer using USB or IP address (LPD or IPP protocol). Change driver from Autoselect/Generic to other, and find the PPD from 3).

5) You are good to go!

8. C2E

C2E Bit poster

Not so fast...keep getting the following message and printer does not print (never become unbusy):

"Network Host 'ip address' is busy, will retry in 30 seconds"

Any idea how to resolve this?

9. shereefe

shereefe Bit poster

on snow leopard, this worked like a charm
    thanks a million

10. CathyF1

CathyF1 Bit poster

11. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi Cathy, Thank you for your suggestion for the fix regarding the printing issue in Windows virtual machine on Parallels Desktop.

12. nutri

nutri Bit poster