Ubuntu installed, but now doesn't boot

Discussion in 'Linux Guest OS Discussion' started by boygenius, Feb 7, 2008.

1. boygenius

boygenius Bit poster

When I start parallels up, the logo comes up on black screen and I get as far as 3 squares on the progress bar, then it hangs for several minutes (yes, minutes.) Eventually the logo screen goes away and I see the following:

* Reading files needed to boot ... [ OK ]
    * Setting preliminary keymap ... [ OK ]
    * Preparing restricted drivers ... [ OK ]
    * Starting basic networking ... [ OK ]
    * Starting kernel event manager ... [ OK ]
    * Loading hardware drivers ...
    udevd-event[3191]: run_program: '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit
    [ OK ]

*Loading kernel modules...
    *Loading manual drivers

I installed Feisty Fawn, then installed upgrades and then installed parallels tools. It booted up fine a few times, and then I started getting the above problems.

The two weird things I did when the OS actually worked, was start this tutorial (http://tinyurl.com/18r) (I don't think I had to, did I?) and then try to enable desktop effects.

Any suggestions?

2. boygenius

boygenius Bit poster

Any Ubuntu/Parallels gurus out there who can help me?

3. nidan2006

nidan2006 Bit poster

turn on verbose boot

Get rid of the boot "splash" and turn on verbose booting. then you'll have a clue exactly where it is hanging. I would hazard a guess that it is failing to mount the root filesystem.

I think alt-F2 turns on verbose boot in ubuntu. If the system is a macbook or macbook pro, you may need to also depress the fn key (the lower leftmost key). You can also make the boot verbose by editing the grub menu.lst file if you're comfortable with that.

4. neilplatform1

neilplatform1 Bit poster

I had this problem...

I had this exact problem, I had set up the VM with 670MB of memory and 16MB graphics memory. I reduced the RAM to 512MB and increased the graphics memory to 33MB, that fixed it. So try playing around with the VM settings, it may well help.

5. Hank Freid

Hank Freid Bit poster

Are you using grub bootloader and what happens when you try to boot from the rEFIt TUX icon, did it ever boot and how? . Some more details wouild help.

Regards:
    Hank Freid