Memory Leak When Restarting VM

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by tito12384, Aug 2, 2007.

1. tito12384

tito12384 Bit poster

Hi All,

I have come across what I believe to be a bug (both in the previous release build and the current one, 4560). I've noticed that when restarting the VM (either by restarting windows, or stopping and starting the VM) without closing Parallels, new memory is allocated each time without deallocating previous memory. In order to prevent running out of memory, I need to shut down windows each time and close parallels. This is happening for me using both Windows XP Pro and Vista Business. I am running windows off of my boot camp partition.

Computer Info:
    MacBook Pro
    2.4 Ghz Intel C2D
    2GB Ram
    OSX 10.4.10

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  2. Stan O

Stan O Parallels Team

Hello,
    How do you figure that the memory doesn't get deallocated?
    I'm pretty sure that isn't supposed to happen.

3. tito12384

tito12384 Bit poster

I can watch the available memory in the Activity Monitor. If I restart the VM, the memory used should stay the same. Instead, another 512 MB of memory (the amount of memory I have available to windows) gets marked as used. When I close parallels completely, all of the used memory is freed (1 gig).

4. tito12384

tito12384 Bit poster

Hi alll,

Are there any updates on this issue? This is still happening to me in 5582. I've since upgraded to leopard (full reformat and new install). Restarting windows without closing parallels itself completely eats up all memory and the computer becomes nearly unusable. Is anyone else having this issue? As stated before, I can watch the memory usage in the mac activity monitor.

5. GedDavis

GedDavis Bit poster

Memory leak (flood!)

I'm appear to be having a similar problem.

Each time windows xp goes into sleep mode it takes an addition 5-600Mb of disk space. True disc space used is a little less than 7 Gb, but parrallels has now boosted its space requirement to 16.28Gb. I can no longer use parrallels until I can recover this memory loss.

The computer is a MacBook 2GHz Intel Core Duo
    RAM 2 Gb
    Running Os X 10.5.1

Some help would be much appreciated
    Ged

6. jmanos3

jmanos3 Member

I too have experienced this issue with 5582 and OS X 10.5.1. I am in the process of doing some additional testing and documenting and will post the results in a new thread.

7. Edd

Edd Member

I noticed that in addition to the slow creeping up of the parallels real memory allocated, the windowserver is also creeping up about 1/50Mb every 1-2 seconds.

Only when Parallels is running. I haven't looked at other configurations, but I run my VM in coherence exclusively.

(Leopard 10.5.1 latest parallels(new HDD for leopard new install) only running office 2007)

8. operator911

operator911 Junior Member

Edd:
    Re the memory allocated to Windowserver, I wonder if that's why I get a message from Parallels if I leave it in coherence mode too long that parallels has run out of memory, and I have to switch it back to fullscreen mode to get Parallels to work again.
    Do you have that problem?

9. Edd

Edd Member

The only issue I have for running parallels too long (outside of the windowserver creeping) is that after a while of inactivity, I run out of video memory, allegedly) It's at the max. 64mb, and i click ok without finding any decrease in performance.

I have 4 Gb RAM, with 2Gb allocated to parallels running, so maybe I haven't hit your issue because my pool is larger?