CPU, Video, and Netflix

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Brru, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Brru

Brru Bit poster

First Im new to both OSX and Parallels, so with that said here we go.

I recently installed an XP virtual Machine using parallels 3.0 on a Leopard Macbook. I have 2 GB of ram on the macbook. XP runs alright, there seems to be a high CPU (50% or higher) issue which causes a lot of heat and high fan speeds. I am attempting to use netflix to watch streaming movies from there database since Microsoft has exclusive rights to it currently. When the videos run it is choppy, but it runs, and causes greater CPU usage and the effects that follow.

Does anyone have any suggestions for settings on the XP VM that might help with the CPU and the video? I understand the video card may not be the greatest for what Im attempting, so any ideas are helpful.

2. rdean

rdean Member

I have a similar set-up as you. Windows XP on a Mac Book Pro with 2 gig of Ram and Parallels 3.0 (currently the 5582 build). I have watched NetFlix steams and it works flawlessly. Unfortunately I don't know any suggestions for you. I did not do any special tweaks of my software. The only thing I can give you is that it is possible to use the NetFlix streams through parallels and get a good experience. Good Luck.

3. Brru

Brru Bit poster

Ya then in that case the only difference would be the video card on the Macbook Pro is better then the macbook. It would seem that the videocard on the macbook is not capable of the video required for netflix. Thanks for the response.

4. rdean

rdean Member

It is hard to believe, but that does seems to be the made difference. I am just suprised that the MacBook video card could not handle it, I am sure there are PC with weaker video cards that view that stream. I think NetFlix is coming out with a Mac version of that streaming service, so hopefully that will be sooner rather then later. I hate having to drop back into Internet Explorer.

5. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

Brru, what Parallels Desktop build are you using?

6. gianfri

gianfri Bit poster

Same problem on 24 inch iMac...

I am having the same problem trying to watch a Netflix video in Parallels/XP (build 5584). VM is configured with 1 GB of RAM with bridged network.

The hardware is a 24 inch iMac 2.4GHZ INTEL CORE 2 DUO with 4GB of RAM. Hard to imagine that this would not be enough horsepower. The video looks very choppy, almost impossible to watch.

Internet connection is wired through cable model. I get a nice video stream through my old Dell laptop running native XP on the same home network *in wireless mode* ....

It seems to me that the problem is in Parallels or the configuration of the VM....