Can't Activate Windows

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by danhem, Feb 14, 2008.

1. danhem

danhem Junior Member

Hi,

I will firstly apologise for the lack of my technical knowledge so please bare with me.

Since installing Leopard, I have had issues with Parallels and am now facing another one.

I am trying to activate Windows (XP) but when I open the Parallels application and start in 'Actions', I get the following message;

Parallels Desktop is unable to access the virtual hard disk image file /Users/Danny/Library/Parallels/winxp/winxp.hdd. The file is used by other application.

Please help!!!

danny

2. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

please try to do the following:
    1. Find your Parallels hard disk file whose name ends in .hdd. Usually it is located in the Macintosh HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Parallels/ or Macintosh HD/Users/YourUserName/Documents/Parallels/ folder. You can use Finder to find the .hdd file.
    2. Right-click the file (or control-click if you have a one button mouse) and choose Open Package Contents from the pop-up menu.
    3. In the window that opens, you should see the lock file - it ends in .lck. Just drag it out of the package window to your desktop (don't touch anything else).
    4. Close the package window and you should be able to start up Parallels with no issues. Once you've verified Parallels starts up OK, you can trash the .lck file.

Will it help?

Best regards,
    Stacey

3. danhem

danhem Junior Member

hi,

yes it has worked.

thanks for your help

danny