Not seeing other or portable devices

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by musigal, Feb 14, 2008.

1. musigal

musigal Junior Member

I got a digital camera today and after installing the software, it couldn't find the camera to export the photos. The camera was hooked up properly into the USB port.

So I did some research and found no "other" or "portable devices" under hardware on my Windows 2000 setup on Parallels. It has everything else, including the Mac "home" computer.

How can I fix this?

Thank you! :)

2. NewMac

NewMac Junior Member

Default USB action

when the camera is plugged into your usb port go to the parallels taskbar (top of mac screen,) select devices, scroll down to usb and you should then see your camera listed, scroll down and select. Windows will then install the neccesary drivers This happens because the default setting for parallels is NOT to connect any usb devices. This can be changed in your VM configurator to connect at startup. Hope this helps. Cheers

3. musigal

musigal Junior Member

Fixed!

Thank you, NewMac! :) This worked!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  4. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

NewMac, thank you for the solution provided!

musigal, to specify NewMac's advice - you can open Parallels Desktop Configuration Editor->USB Controller tab and choose "Connect to the VM" option for connected USB-devices. Thus, they will be connected to the VM when plugged.

5. musigal

musigal Junior Member

Alicia, thank you for your response. :)

I have noticed when I turn off the virtual machine, which is often (I don't keep it going all the time), when I turn it back on I have to reconnect using the Config editor. Is there any way around this?

Thanks!

Joanna

6. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

do you stop your VM properly through Start-Shut down or press a stop button?

7. musigal

musigal Junior Member

I usually hit the red square stop button on the right side of Parallels. Should I shut it down from the OS Start/Stop instead?

8. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

yes, improper stop can be the cause of the devices issue. Anyway, it is always better and more safely to Start->Shut down the VM :)