Parallels Tools randomly crashes....

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by fwong, Feb 13, 2008.

1. fwong

fwong Member

I recently upgraded to Parallels 5584 and am now encountering random crashes with Parallel Tools.

After some random period of time from 1-4 hours of continuous use, I'll see the following dialog box under Vista 32-bit under Parallels:

--------
    Parallels tools has stopped working...
    ---------
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: ParallelsToolsCenter.exe
    Application Version: 3.0.5584.0
    Application Timestamp: 4773e431
    Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdc9
    Exception Code: c00000fd
    Exception Offset: 000623b9
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 92cb
    Additional Information 2: 1a1bc554561b29f5877b443ea9585877
    Additional Information 3: 96fd
    Additional Information 4: 425b22e1f9d74910f154e95bbd46e3c9

--------------

The crash appears to have no effect on my running Vista applications otherwise until I try to put my Mac to sleep or shut-down Vista. Both actions will lock-up Parallels, and my Mac will be unable to shut-down or sleep. The only thing I can do is perform a force-quit on Parallels. After that - I can at least regain control of my Mac and perform a clean Mac shut-down.

MacBookPro 17"
    2.4Ghz Core Duo 2
    4GB RAm

I have tried executing Parallels Tools from the Start menu - but Parallels Tools will almost always crash again within minutes.

Anybody else have this issue?

2. fwong

fwong Member

One more thing...

After Parallels Tools crashes...about 30 seconds later, I'll always get the following Mac dialog box:

-------
    <name of Parallels configuration>
    There was a timeout waiting for the file system to respond. You can eject this volume immediately, but unsaved changes may be lost.
    -------

If I click "Keep Waiting" - nothing happens and I have click Force-Quit.
    If I click "Force Eject" - the system continue to run, but I won't be unable to shut-down Vista or put my Mac to sleep until I force-Quit Parallels

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  3. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Fwong,

Have you reinstalled Parallels Tools after upgrading? Please do.

Best regards,
    Xenos

4. fwong

fwong Member

Yes

Yes. I've even uninstalled tools, and re-installed them.

5. johnphilips

johnphilips Bit poster

I am having same issue

I am running 3.0 Build 5584.0, and having exact same issue. I get the same error message and 95+% of time have had no issue until I try to shutdown. A couple of times, been unable to copy/paste after the error, but that has been rare. During the Vista Shutdown the VM hangs, and I end up doing a stop on the VM to get it to quit. Other interesting thing is that all the icons for the programs running under vista remain in the dock even after the shutdown has progress. I am guessing the tools crash ends the communications between the VM and Mac OS.

If anyone knows a fix for this, i would like to know about it too.

6. johnphilips

johnphilips Bit poster

Should have also said this was clean install (using an existing bootcamp partition) and was not an upgrade like the other post.

7. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Fwong and Johnphilips,

Could you please help us to investigate the issue?
    I have sent a letter to both of you on the addresses you used to register on the forum.
    Please tun Toolsverifier utility and send me the log with the results. Minidumps would also be useful. The details are in the letter.
    We appreciate your cooperation.

Best regards,
    Xenos

8. johnphilips

johnphilips Bit poster

Follow-up to email re: vbs script

I got your email and tried to run the script, but the RAR did not include the vb script file. Was that file supposed to be included or does the script execute a vb script file that should already be on my computer? I send this same information in an email reply but a copy came to me which am not sure if it was a response or a cc of the message back to me.

Also, i just now had the tools crash when I was closing QuickBooks 2007. It has ran fine all day, and when I closed QuickBooks I got the Parallels Tools error message. I double-clicked the Parallels Tools to restart it prior to shutting down. The tools icon appeared in the systray for few seconds and then disappeared. I doubleclicked again and then shutdown. The shutdown did not hang, but I did get a Parallels has stopped unexpectedly message from Mac OS after the VM quit.

9. craigvogel

craigvogel Bit poster

I have been experiencing the same issue since upgrading to 5584. All of a sudden I will get the message:

-------
    <name of Parallels configuration>
    There was a timeout waiting for the file system to respond. You can eject this volume immediately, but unsaved changes may be lost.
    -------

caused by random Paralells Tools crash.

I have tried reinstalling Tools per previous posts. No change.

XP Pro SP2
    MacBookPro 15"
    2.2Ghz Core Duo 2
    4GB RAM

10. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

John, thank you for the additional information. I am sorry the file I sent you the last time was corrupted. I've sent you a working Toolsverifier.

Craigvogel, please check your e-mail too.

Best regards,
    Xenos

11. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all,

We are looking forward for letters from you with additional information for we could reproduce the issue and fix it.

Here is a possible workaround that has been proposed by one of our developers - reinstall Parallels Tools manually:

1. Go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs and remove Parallels Tools;

2. Click Start -> Run and type regedit, press Enter. When Regedit window opens, click Edit -> Find. In the Find field type Parallels, press Enter. You will get a list of files. Select one of the files and press Tab. A folder in the left part of the window will get selected. Delete this folder. Do the same with all files from the list;

3. On the C: drive open Program Files folder and delete the folder Parallels;

4. Restart your VM and install Parallels Tools through Actions on Parallels Desktop menu bar. Restart Windows again.

Best regards,
    Xenos

12. fwong

fwong Member

Preventing Random Parallels Tools Crashes?

Through weeks of trail-and-error...disabling and enabling various Parallels Tools features...I've discovered something. If I disable "Shared Folders / All Widows Disks" in the Parallels Desktop menus...Parallels Tools doesn't crash!

I've been running this configuration for the entire week without a single Parallels Tools crash.

Of course - now that I'm sharing this, I'll probably jinx myself, and today will be the day that it crashes.

13. mycasho

mycasho Bit poster

INSTALL PARALLELS TOOLS sobre Windws XP

Instale Parallels en la ultima version sobre 2 MAC diferentes y tuve el mismo problema: NO PODIA INSTALAR LAS HERRAMIENTAS que permiten intercambiar archivos y demas.

Aqui esta la solucion, si funciona, solo sigue estos pasos:

(1) Localiza el archivo vmtools.iso en la carpeta /Library/Parallels/Tools folder (nota: es la carpeta general no la del usuario, NO User/Library).

(2) Da doble click y se abrira una carpeta con diferentes archivos incluyenfo PRLTOOLS.EXE

(3) Crea un folder en el escritorio y guarda este folder en un USB o CD, recuerda wue es muy dificil compartir archivos entre los dos sistemas sin las herramientas.

(4) Inicia Parallels Desktop y coloca el folder en el escritorio de sistema (PC, UBUNTU, etc.)

(5) Da doble click al archivo PRLTOOLS.EXE e instala las herramientas.

(6) Tu sistema se reiniciara y estar listo.

--------
    Gracias a Chris - waldo647 -