Stealing Focus

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by maztec, Jan 19, 2008.

1. maztec

maztec Member

I would really love it if Parallels would handle focus stealing like most OS X apps do. That is, if Windows DEMANDS focus, Parallels simply makes the Parallels Icon or Corresponding App Icon bounce on the Dock - to let me know something wants my attention.

Nothing is worse than to be typing in one program and have a second program steal focus and get me to agree to something because I wasn't looked at the computer while typing. Oh wait, there is something worse, when it does this, you go back to what you were doing, and it does it again, and again, and again, and again. This usually results in me screaming at Windows and having to stop Parallels because it is #LRJKL:#RJ!ASDF! with me.

So, yah. Please, make it behave like an OS X app and INFORM me that it wants my attention rather than STEALING my attention.

Thanks!

- Maz

P.S.: If someone knows of a setting that will stop this, please let me know.

2. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Maz,

It is a complicated task - to make Windows applications icons behaving like OS X applications icons. Anyway, I am delivering your wish to Parallels developers.

Best regards,
    Xenos

3. maztec

maztec Member

Thank you!

Really, I would be happy if Parallels just recognized the call for focus - when Parallels wasn't the front app - and handled it appropriately, rather than letting Windows steal across desktops.

I can't wait to hopefully see this feature some day. [pls be soon pls be soon pls be soon ;)]

4. Edd

Edd Member

I agree, I've Apple-Q-ed parallels instead of the intended application a number of times due to it stealing focus at the last moment during a keypress.

There's no doubt that this whole business is complicated Xenos, but this is an annoying activity.

Thanks

5. Edd

Edd Member

Have you tried unchecking the box "bring notification windows to front" in the coherence configuration tab?

I just noticed it, and wonder if the little windows information bubbles are telling parallels to bring the whole window to the front.

I've just unchecked it, and will see if this helps.. but wondered if you had this setting (default checked?) turned on too?

6. Edd

Edd Member

Just as a quick follow-up. Unchecking that option in the VM configuration has prevented my windows applications from stealing focus.

I can use spaces again!!!

PS obviously this doesn't address the issue of not being notified if something happens in the VM's environment that you need to address.

Dock bouncing is a great idea!

7. maztec

maztec Member

Edd, I cannot find the option you referenced anywhere. Where was it?

I tried VM Configuration, View->Customize, and Parallels->Preferences and am not seeing this option anywhere [or anywhere else I could think of looking]. I also looked at the parallels app in Windows and did not see this as an option.

But yes, adding bouncing dock -if this optio nworks - would be great.

Thanks. :)

8. Edd

Edd Member

Hey maztec,

I've attached a movie of how to change the setting. it's really small (84kb), but parallels doesn't allow .mov files to be uploaded to the forum, so it's zipped up.

that should show you where the setting is.

good luck.

Edward

Attached Files:

9. maztec

maztec Member

Edd Thanks.

I wasn't noticing it because it is already unchecked for me. Not everything in Windows steals focus. But there is enough programs that still do that it is quite obnoxious. Particularly since many of them do it without rhyme or reason - and often nothing shows me why it was stolen.

10. Edd

Edd Member

there was a comment in another thread where parallels was stealing focus without that box being checked.. so maybe something else is going on.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Edward

11. jardincorenda

jardincorenda Member

I have that check box unchecked, tried it both ways. Windows steals focus when Outlook is checking mail, booting, shutting down, and when there are message bubbles among other things. It is really annoying and difficult to use spaces at times. Anything that can be done to help with this would be greatly appreciated.

12. Edd

Edd Member

Just to let you know, when shutting down, logging out parallels takes over my screen in coherence regardless of that i do.

13. maztec

maztec Member

Oi. Well, glad it fixed it for you Edd. Which are you using? Vista or XP?

Using Vista here. Jardin - same here. Shutting down can be really annoying when it steals focus repeatedly.. Once, fine.. but twice, three times, gah!

14. Edd

Edd Member

I'm using XP. I thought about switching to vista, but I read speed comparisons for office 2007, and decided to keep XP.

OFfice 2007 aqnd garmin applications are the sole reason for me using parallels (except when I want to just be frustrated and try to use IE :))

15. maztec

maztec Member

It was cheaper for me to get Vista than XP. My main reason for using Windows is OneNote. I could live without literally everything else. If OneNote was ported over, I would be set. too bad it isn't :(

16. DrKarl

DrKarl Member

I'm running Parallels in 'full screen' (which means one monitor in one Spaces space is full screen) - and the focus stealing is driving me crazy. So, it is not a Coherence issue.

Focus stealing is one of the things that I finally could not tolerate anymore and justified my reason for moving to OS X from years of cursing Windows.

As others have stated: Parallels is an OS X app and should behave like one regardless of what the VM it is processing is doing! If Windows itself (at boot) or an application wants the focus - give it the VM focus - but don't give it my OS X focus!

To me, this is an implementation deficiency rather than a wish. After all, Parallels itself is an OS X application and should conform to OS X behavior, right? ;-)

Cheers,
    Karl

17. maztec

maztec Member

DrKarl - My thoughts exactly. I don't see why they can't catch the focus calls and just make the VM notify us it wants focus rather than handing it over! Of course, it is mostly implemented to be "pass-through" I believe, which may be why, however Coherence is already handling some of this type of stuff anyway.

18. JanusN

JanusN Bit poster

Disabling "Bring notification windows to front" works in coherence mode but not in crystal mode! It is kinda disappoint! Could it be fixed?