5584 Have to Force Quit won't run at all

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by jasdelta, Feb 15, 2008.

1. jasdelta

jasdelta Bit poster

Hi Folks,
    I have been running Parallels build 5582 successfully for months now using Leopard 10.5.1 and now 10.5.2. Today I downloaded build 5584 and installed it. I tried to startup my VM and it will not even startup. The only way I could get out of the frozen state was to do a Force Quit.

Any suggestions or ideas on what might be causing this and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

2. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

please try to do the following:
    1. In the Finder, browse to the virtual machine folder (the default path is: Documents-Parallels-Virtual Machine).
    2. Find and delete the ".sav" and ".mem" files in the virtual machine folder.

Will it help?

Best regards,
    Stacey

3. jasdelta

jasdelta Bit poster

Hello Stacey,

I do not have a .sav file in my virtual machine folder at all. I do have a .mem file. See screen shot of my Windows XP Home folder, found in documents/parallels/Windows XP folder. Will any damage be caused to my virtual machine if I delete the .mem file?

Attached Files:

4. BlattMan

BlattMan Bit poster

I tried this fix (deleting the two files) … and the result was strange. Parallels launched, and my virtual machine also launched. It went through a disk check, then the Windows log-in screen appeared. All great so far. Then I logged in, heard the XP start-up music, and everything went away -- except for an app I have set up to launch with Windows. In other words, I was back in a Mac desktop, with a Windows app running all by itself.

So I quit Parallels and re-lauched. The issue was back where it was, with the Parallels icon bouncing interminably in the Dock and being forced to Force Quit.

Good luck on solving this issue!