How to share a folder on an external drive?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by peej, Feb 13, 2008.

1. peej

peej Bit poster

I have installed Parallels on my iMac under Win XP, and I'm using it to run Quicken successfully. However, I want to back up directly to an external hard drive, and I can't figure out how to "share" a folder on that drive with Win under Parallels. I can share any folder I want on my Macintosh HD, but not on the external drive. Is that not possible?

Peej

2. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

please try to do the following:
    Open 'Configuration Editor' of your VM ('Edit' -> 'Virtual Machine'). In the left part choose Shared folders, then click on + button in the right part. Add the drive as a shared folder and save changes.
    Start The VM.
    Will it help?

Best regards,
    Stacey

3. peej

peej Bit poster

Thanks Stacey,

I tried to do that but after I click the + sign, it won't let me add my external drive. I read in another post that Parallels "doesn't support" firewire external hard drives. Is that correct?? (My external drive is connected by firewire.) Why wouldn't Parallels support the fastest external drive connection -- particularly when the new iMacs like mine come with two built-in firewire ports?

peej

4. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

it is correct. Unfortunately firewire devices are not supported yet. But our developers are working on this problem.
    We suggest to use this article.
    When you use this article, do you receive any error messages?

Best regards,
    Stacey

5. peej

peej Bit poster

I did all this. When I get the point where I click on the + button, I highlight the "Path" box and click on "Choose." Then I get a finder-like dialog box called "Choose Folder" which shows all my drives. When I click on the external drive, nothing happens -- except that dull clunking sound that means I've made an error.

peej