Parallels 5584 10.5.2 Hangs on program launch

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by unused_user_name, Feb 12, 2008.

1. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

Hello,

Parallels 10.5.2 "hangs" every time I launch the program starting after I installed the 10.5.2 (combo) update and the Leopard Graphics Update. The issue is that it sits and creates large amounts of disk I/O (like it is scanning the disk) on program launch, before any UI elements other then the icon in the dock is shown. The little blue dot under the icon is not shown while the "hang" is taking place.

I have un-installled and re-installed (with multiple reboots involved) to no avail. As I need the VM's for work I am now left with either a hope for a quick resolution from Parallels or a reversion to 10.5.1....

I've attached a apple crash report of the problem. Let me know if there are any more tests I can run to help track down the problem

My machine is a 15" Core2 Macbook Pro (2.4 ghz), 4gb RAM, with the 256mb video card.

Attached Files:

2. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

UPDATE: (again!)

It seems that 5584 and screenrecycler Trial version available here do not work together.

If I start a VM while a remote screen is attached then Parallels crashes as reported. If I run Parallels first, then attach the remote screen while it is running then it works fine.

These two programs worked together just fine in 10.5.1.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  3. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Unused_user_name,

Thank you very much for the detailed information on the issue. It's entered into a bug report.

Best regards,
    Xenos

4. elemental

elemental Bit poster

Same problem, but with Apple Remote Desktop

I came across this thread while searching on the same problem!

In my case, however I was using Apple Remote Desktop to connect TO the computer which is running Parallels. Whenever I attempted to launch Parallels while connected to that computer via Apple Remote Desktop, the program would hang and not fully launch. The symptoms are identical to what unused_user_name describes.

When I disconnected Apple Remote Desktop and launched Parallels directly on the machine, Parallels launched promptly without any hanging. After Parallels successfully launched I was able to reconnect via Apple Remote Desktop and to start my VM without issue.

I too am running Parallels 5584 in conjunction with Leopard 10.5.2 with the Leopard Graphics Update installed.

This is on a Macbook Pro.

Hope this information contributes to fixing this issue!

5. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

Unused_user_name, could you please let us know, what version of ScreenRecycler are you using?

Elemental, what is your Apple Remote Desktop version?

We need the details for the investigation. Appreciate your help.

Best regards,
    Xenos

6. elemental

elemental Bit poster

Hi Xenos,

I'm running Apple Remote Desktop 3.2 on my host machine, and the client machine (the machine with Parallels installed on it) is running Client Software version 3.2.1. Both are the most recent versions available from Apple.

Both systems are running Leopard 10.5.2 with Leopard Graphics Update.

Hope this helps!

7. aufoisaw

aufoisaw Bit poster