Preventing Virus Threats to PVM & Mac

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by bick4d, Nov 26, 2007.

1. bick4d

bick4d Junior Member

Thread was moved from "General Discussions > Website and Forum Discussions".
    Stacey M

When I open a file that is looking for software that resides in XP on the Parallels Virtual Machine a window displays on the lower right warning me about possible virus threats due to my not having any virus protection installed in XP of the PVM.

I ignor this warning because I do not plan to do any emailing or internet connecting from XP within PVM. I email a file to the Mac from a PC running XP. I place the file on the Mac's desktop..........then bring the file into the PVM to work on it where MS software resides. When I need to return it to the PC I send it back to the Mac's desktop where I drag it into the Mac based Entourage email program to send it. This is intended to avoid the threat of virus infection from email. I avoid using Internet Explorer since I use Safari .

Problem that I forsee is not being able to upgrade the software ( MS Projects ) I am using that reside within XP in PVM or for that matter upgrade XP itself.
    Any Comments ?
    Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2007
  2. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

I'd highly recommend just to have some anti-virus software installed in the guest OS. For example, there is a built-in antivirus in Parallels but you still can use some other software :)

Best regards,
    Alicia.

3. bick4d

bick4d Junior Member

Need for Anti Virous Software

Isn't anti virous software out of date upon issue ? Would I not have to set up the IE connection on the Mac in PVM so I could update on-line at whatever brand of Anti Virous software ? As a PC user I used to pay monthly for McAfee. Is that what your recommend ?
    The only reason I have PVM is to run one software program MS Projects. Every file is already created and stored on a PC and sent by me from work to the Mac at home where it is opened in PVM. I am still under threat of virous attack ? Do you recommend anti virous software be installed on stand alone Mac's exposed to internet traffic but not running Parallels VM ? What is your definition of Anti Virous Software ?
    Thanks

4. bick4d

bick4d Junior Member

What does PVM provide in the way of anti virus software ?

5. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

Parallels has built-in installer of Kaspersky Internet Security antivirus. Or, as I said, you can use any antiviral protection that you want - it depends only on your preferences.

For Kaspersky functional you can check their web-site.

Kaspersky Internet Security is available through Actions Menu.

6. bick4d

bick4d Junior Member

Kaspersky

Thank you
    I am still dubios of anit virus software knowing about new virus.

7. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

what do you mean?
    Antivirus program will scan your system for potentially dangerous elements presence.

Also, you can set up a firewall which can inspect network traffic passing through it, and deny or permit passage based on a set of rules.

8. bick4d

bick4d Junior Member

Anti Virus

I have the impression viruses are sent in such a way as to fool the most up to date preventive measures. Therefore I am very cautious and skeptical of anti virus software. A firewall can downgrade the quality of the user experience because of so many restrictions needed to make it effective at blocking potential intruders.
    So I try to stay within Mac programs for email and internet travel. Parallels is only necessary for me for one reason. Microsoft Projects.
    Thanks