Parallels Video Error

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by kevinw, Jan 1, 2008.

1. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

For some strange reason I just started to get this error message:

"The screen resolution in the guest OS cannot be set because it is low on video memory. The display may not be optimal. Please increase virtual machine video memory. To increase amount of video memory shutdown the virtual machine, set new virtual machine video memory size (Edit Configuration -> Memory -> Video Memory)."

My current setting is 40mb of 64mb total and only up to 16mb is recommended on the screen?

An ideas?

2. yatinbhatt

yatinbhatt Bit poster

Which version of Parallels do u use and on which host OS ?

3. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

Sorry about that - I am using build 5582 amd guest OS of Windwos XP Pro, SP2

4. yatinbhatt

yatinbhatt Bit poster

Did u upgrade to 5582 ? did the problem start after upgrading, if u did upgrade ?

May be reinstalling the Parallels Tools should fix the issue ..... or also consider fresh install of 5582

5. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

Actually I have 2 machines, (purchased same time, about 9 mo's ago) a 20 and a 24. They both exactly the same software and settings on them. But it only happens on the 20. I am trying to remember if it happened after the latest upgrade to 5582 but I am pretty sure I got the message on the 20 before. I never have gotten it on the 24.

6. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

This is a known issue which Parallels is aware of. I have been told it'll be fixed in future releases.

7. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

Thanks for the info - I hope they correct that and that damn Taskbar from showing up in Coherence mode seemingly anytime it wants to.

8. bmoeskau

bmoeskau Junior Member

same here

I've had Parallels running previously on a MacBook Pro (Tiger) at 1440x900 + a 30" cinema display at 2560x1600, and never had any issues in coherence mode. I recently bought a new Mac Pro desktop (Leopard) and am now ONLY on the cinema display (fewer total pixels) and am now getting this error. I'm running Parallels build 5584.

One guess is that maybe it has to do with Spaces in Leopard? I have 4 virtual screens enabled, so I'm assuming that Parallels also has to keep 2560x1600x4 pixels in memory in coherence mode? Still seems like 64Mb should be OK even then, but I'm not sure what else it could be.

9. bmoeskau

bmoeskau Junior Member

I've since switched to running XP in a single window rather than in coherence mode. This has been running since my last post 24x7 with no memory issues. I would really be happy if coherence worked correctly though, as not having my app windows in the dock anymore really bites. ;)

10. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

5584 seems to have corrected it for me for now. What build are you running?

11. bmoeskau

bmoeskau Junior Member

I'm running 5584 also. Are you using Spaces in Leopard? That seems to be the issue for me, not coherence in general. It was working fine for me with the same physical setup under Tiger.

12. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

I do not use SPACES but that was not the issue for me. It was high CPU & Disk Usage at the same time that caused the issue for me.

13. janiner

janiner Member

I've upgraded to build 5584 but I'm still getting this error. I'm running OS X 10.4.11 (Tiger) on the host and XP as the guest OS. I'm running in Coherence mode. Are we still waiting for this to be fixed, or do I need to make sure Parallels knows I'm still seeing the error?

thanks,

janine

14. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

I still get it occasionally with Build 5584 and 10.5.2. Not often enough to be a major annoyance.

15. janiner

janiner Member

I seem to get it about once a day, sometimes more. It doesn't seem to hurt anything but it is quite annoying.

16. jeep4wrk

jeep4wrk Bit poster

Me too with 5584 and OS 10.5.2

I get this multiple times each day. I'm not running Spaces. Got it with 5582 and 10.5.1 as well. I can't see that it affects anything, but I'm not sure.

17. operator911

operator911 Junior Member

I have built 5584 on 10.5.2 on a MBP C2D, and I also still consistently get this error when starting up Coherence.

Coherence mode is essentially useless for me since I am guaranteed to have the out of memory message in an hour or two and my processor fan pinned at the max, draining my batteries.

Most frustrating that despite the longstanding nature of this particular issue, no fix has yet been issued.

18. davelien

davelien Bit poster

Yes, waiting patiently(?) for a fix here also...

19. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all,

As our investigation has shown, the issue is only reproduced when iMac / MacBook is going to sleep mode. We can currently propose two workarounds:

Hide Parallels Desktop (Command key + H) every time you are going to leave you computer for long;

Disable sleep mode options - Never put computer to sleep and never put display to sleep in Mac System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Sleep.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused and are working to fix the issue.

Best regards,
    Xenos

20. davelien

davelien Bit poster

I am getting this error message on my desktop, Mac Pro. (On my laptop Macbook Pro as well.) Definitely not a sleep problem as my desktop never goes to sleep. I know at least one other poster mentioned the problem on a Mac Pro...so I can only assume that the problem is more than a sleep/laptop problem.

Although I can not reproduce the problem on demand, it does occur every hour or so. I switch out of convergence to single window and then back to convergence...good for another hour or so.