Internet Odd Behavior

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by rll, Feb 19, 2008.

1. rll

rll Bit poster

After connecting to the Internet I am unable to get images from NY Times after clicking on an article, unable to complete bank logon sequences, as well as logons to other sites using both IE and Firefox in my Parallels 3.0 VM Build 5584 using Leopard on a MacBook Pro with 2 GB of memory and 150 GB hard drive. Don't have this problem at all on sites like Parallels.com.

My guess is that the GET or POST commands for img tags or logon sequences lose the session somehow. Or, a cookie is getting lost. Or, I don't know what. Could be a problem with the Network adapter but am using the default configuration that came with Parallels. I'm on a Wireless network at home.

Do not have this problem at all when I go to the financial sites or places like NY Times from a separate Windows machine on my home network or from the Mac itself.

Any ideas how to fix this?

2. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

Did you by chance have Norton Anti-virus or Norton Internet Security running and recently uninstalled it?

3. rll

rll Bit poster

No Norton Anti Virus

Thanks for asking. I don't have nor have ever had Norton anti virus on this machine.

I remembered after posting the original that I may not have described very well what happens. For the NY Times, the site tries to reach one of the ad suppliers and just keeps waiting. For financial site logon, the browsers wait for a reply from the financial site and eventually either give a not found message or display a blank screen with "Done" at the bottom.

4. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

Have you installed Flash Plugin?

5. rll

rll Bit poster

I don't believe I've installed Flash plug-in, certainly not in the Windows OS Firefox or MS Internet Explorer.

6. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

I would. That could be why it hangs on certain websites but not others. It's worth a try.

7. rll

rll Bit poster

Parallels Drops Internet Session

Still hangs even afterr after removing Parallels and XP then reinstalling including Flash on MS Internet Explorer.

Since MS Explorer (and Firefox) both work well on sites without third party advertising and sites that don't require a logon, I can only imagine that Parallels is incapable of keeping track of the session across the shared network interface in the default configuration. Seems like a major weakness in the product and am surprised that it got the good reviews it did if this is indeed the case.

Any ideas how I might modify the network configurations?

Thanks in advance.