Problem with accessing shared Volumes

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by sanjin, Feb 12, 2008.

1. sanjin

sanjin Junior Member

I added shared place in Parallels options. This shared place is mounted disk in /Volumes on Mac. If I eject this mounted disk, I can still open path from Windows, however it is empty because there is no disk. If I try to create text file on this empty place I get error that place doesn't exist. But if I try to create folder, it doesn't report that disk does not exist - folder just appears like there is disk mounted.

Now, after this, in /Volumes folder on Mac I have name of my disk that was mounted and new folder (that I just created) inside it. Then when I plug in my disk that I previously ejected, in /Volumes on Mac appears his name but with a number after the name. So, from now on, I can't access my disk from Windows until I delete folder that replaced his name in /Volumes on Mac, and then mount my disk it again.

Is this a bug?

I think a solution would be that I can't create a folder just like I can't create a file on the place that doesn't exist. Or just to behave like any other network place that doesn't exist. The problem is that system (Mac or Win?) created a folder with the same name like my disk was named. This prevents accessing my disk further over the same path.

I work on:

Mac OS 10.5.2
    Parallels Desktop 3.0 (8854)
    Win XP Pro SP2

2. sanjin

sanjin Junior Member

Did I describe my problem well or does nobody takes this thing seriosuly?

3. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Sanjin,

Could you please let me see a number of screenshots for I could have a clear idea of the issue? I would like to see:

- Shared Folders settings in Configuration Editor;
    - Your shared folder opened on Mac side;
    - Your shared folder opened on Windows side.

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
    Xenos

4. sanjin

sanjin Junior Member

5. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Sanjin,

Thank you for the detailed description of what you have done.

Please keep in mind that Volume is a directory and Maxtor, Memory Stick, iMac are mounted directories, not drives.

When you disconnect your Memory Stick, the mounted Memory folder disappears. When you create the Test folder, the Memory directory appears into Volumes.

When you plug in the Memory Stick again, your Mac sees that the same name already exists. And that is why your Memory Stick is mounted as Memory 1.

Best regards,
    Xenos

6. sanjin

sanjin Junior Member

I understand what happend.

But there is obviously bug in the procces. How is that I am able to create a folder, but if I try to create a file - message appears that path doesn't exist!? This should also happend when I also try to create a folder. System must NOT let me create ANYTHING on the Volume that doesn't exist. Right?

This is important because If once happend I permanently loose absolute path of Volume that was configured in Shared Folders. Until I manually delete him from Volumes, I can't access from the same Shared Folders. Annoying.

Please consider to fix this problem.

7. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Sanjin, as you have noticed, you can not create a file in a directory that does not exist any more. But when you create a folder, the directory is recreated as a new directory. It is normal Unix folders behavior.

If you understand that the Memory Stick directory disappears after you have unplugged the device, why are you trying to modify it?

Could you please explain what exactly you would like to do for we could understand what you want us to fix.

Best regards,
    Xenos

8. sanjin

sanjin Junior Member

Ok, I didn't know this. I thought that system by default doesn't do anything if he can't find path.

Very first time when my Shared Folder changed path I didn't know what was wrong. Very soon I realised that my data that I had on my drive are not on configured Shared Folder anymore. Then I started with testing so that is why I'm now experimenting. It's not like I'm doing this with no purpose.

Consider this real situation.

I configured my Shared Folders and started working in Windows. After few days, my email Inbox appeared empty - just few new emails arrived. Hundrads of emails seems to be gone. What really happend? Maybe the disk went to sleep, I don't know, I doesn't matter. But I know that Email software created fresh tree of folders and put new emails there. This is where things went wrong. Typical user won't first open Terminal and look in "/Volumes" if there is his drive mounted. He will rather plug out & plug in the device or do something basicly so the device appears on Mac OS Desktop again. Name of this drive on Mac OS Desktop will be the same as before, but in /Volumes will not. The problem remains until this problematic folder is manually deleted. Situation is more complicated because new emails are inside this problematic folder, and old ones are on real drive. I solved this after all.

What will happend If you try to copy folder or file on network drive that is offline? I'm pretty sure computer won't turn on and boot in OS so he can do the job. Instead, an error message will appear and say that drive doesn't exist. This is just enough so I can react while thing are not messed up. Any smarter software will report that this destionation doesn't exist, if he tries to do something on that path.

That is what I would like you to fix. If Shared Folder doesn't exist - give me an error message if I try to access it. Isn't that logical from user point of view?

9. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Sanjin, thank you for the explanations. I have delivered your request to Parallels engineers.

Best regards,
    Xenos

10. sanjin

sanjin Junior Member

Thank you for your time and patience.